OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

View Two Documents Side by Side

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wah fun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: View Two Documents Side by Side Reply with quote

I am a new linux (ubuntu 10.04) user and am trying to use Openoffice writer to perform the tasks I did while in Microsoft Word. I find that everything (so far) works fine except for one - viewing two documents side-by-side. In word this is a standard feature found in the tools menu. With one document open, the user can select the side-by-side option, open the second document and the screen is automatically split equally showing the two documents. This is a feature that I use daily to edit multiple documents. However, I can't find how to do this in oowriter without a lot of resizing windows, opening multiple occurrences of oowriter, etc. I have also searched the net but cannot find much information. So, if this is possible, can someone help me out and explain how to do it? It would be a shame for this feature to be unavailable.

thx in advance.
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say but that can't be done here. OOo has a single document interface, it can have only one doc open in a window. It has been discussed before, but the multiple document interface that Word (and many older programs) used, has never been implemented on Linux systems, so it's be next to impossible to get it working there.
therabi
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to have more than one document open at a time, just not in the same "window".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: