OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to write 'i.e.' - and how to re-format indented bullets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paperbackwriter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: How to write 'i.e.' - and how to re-format indented bullets Reply with quote

Hi forum members,

I'm getting to grips with Writer but really frustrated by a few formatting obstacles at this stage. The first is that I can't write 'i.e.' or 'e.g.' etc without OO Writer capitlising the first letter, so 'i.e.' becomes 'I.e.' irrespective of where it lies in the sentance (and in any case, grammatically they wouldn't form the beginning of sentence); I've looked in the 'help' sections and undertaken a search here on the forums but can't find any reference to a setting which would sort this out.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that my first impression of Writer is that it's extremely frustrating trying to write out a document without an issue with formatting!! In this regard, I'm referring to indenting bullet points (and I'm comparing it to the useability of MS Word). If I tab-indent a bullet point list in Writer, those bullet points don't change to an alternative style e.g. little squares. If I do that in Writer, it changes the style of all of the bullets in the document. However, in MS word, I can double-click on the indent list and only change those. How can I get that functionality in Writer?

I would be grateful for any recommendations/solutions in relation to these queries.

Many thanks,

PBW.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of OOO are you using? I don't see any of these issues with OOo 3.3.0 RC7. There's no problem with i.e. or e.g., and pressing TAB key in a bullet list does change the indent and bullet style.
paperbackwriter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vn 3.2.1. But it's ok, because you've solved the problem in your answer! I was writing quite quickly and so each time I went beyond the last period, the 'I' capitilised and so I didn't try pressing another space because I didn't know that's how OO would re-format it. And then I got angry and blamed the internet and OO and the snow and everything else. <note to self: must be more patient...must be more patient...>

Right, now the indented bullets...

So Mods, you can consider this one solved!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: