OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

MySQL or PostgreSQL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: MySQL or PostgreSQL? Reply with quote

Please don't hate me for starting this thread, and please don't get crazy....

.... but if you have used BOTH, and are something of an expert... could you post a few thoughs on the pros and cons of the two as back-ends for use with an ooBase front end??

Thanks...
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to research this in the past and concluded that very few folks have in-depth experience with both RDBMS's. You may be aware of this discussion that errupted last year in response to my research and bullet-points comparing several RDBMS's for use with Base -- points found at the very end of the first post of the same thread. You've probably also read the 'DISCLAIMER' at the end of the first post here. That's as much as I can offer.
BigAndy
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: MySQL or PostgreSQL? Reply with quote

I do not use MySQL as it has less then half of Postgresql abilities. But if You wont use it only as data storage without triggers, stored procedures and comlicated views, you can use it
Mostly complete databaese engines (including HSQLDB) comparison.
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spent a very worthwhile 2 hours reading dcam's post from a year ago, and things it led to. If you are thinking of setting up EITHER a MySQL or a PostgresSQL back-end for your needs, his post is a "must read".

Thank you for hesitating to reply unless you have experience of both platforms. As there have been so few replies, I am going to guess that it is because my "requirement" was too stringent.

If you have been "using seriously" either MySQL or PostgresSQL as a backend for OpenOffice, please post a reply, if only a "me too". I'm researching how widespread those two communities are. If you want to include any comments on what you like/ dislike, so much the better!

Thanks!
BigAndy
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSPhobe wrote:

If you have been "using seriously" either MySQL or PostgresSQL as a backend for OpenOffice, please post a reply,
Thanks!

I'm using only Postgresql and Db2 as backend. Not HSQL nor others
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: