OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Dialogue Box Position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lingenfr

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Dialogue Box Position Reply with quote

I normally run a dual screen configuration with my laptop and an external monitor with an extended desktop. The last time I ran the Properties on my text document, I drug the Properties dialogue box to screen 2. Now I am on the road without my second monitor. When I try to access the properties for my text document, the Properties dialogue box seems to be on the disconnected screen. All that I can do is hit ESC to return to my document. I can't figure out how to get it back. I assume that the last window position is saved somewhere, but I don't know where. Any ideas? My alternative is to beg someone to let me connect to their monitor so I can drag it back. I would like to find the answer in case i am in this situation again. thanks.
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Navigator F5 and go to the Note in question. That should bring the Note to the current screen. Or maybe take the focus to the area where the Note is. Never having used dual screens not too sure if this will work.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a dual screen setup, but this works in Windows when a dialog box is offscreen after changing screen resolution:

Press alt-spacebar. This opens the dialog box menu. Select Move. Use the arrow keys to move the dialog box back onscreen. Let us know if it works.
lingenfr

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to fix it, so I found a monitor to plug into. Interesting, but as soon as I plugged in the monitor, the Properties box jumped back to the laptop screen. I will try and replicate the problem in a day or so and let you know. Thanks for the feedback.
icerabbit
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been stuck on this for 15 minutes now.

I last used my notebook with an external monitor attached to it, when I was working on a couple files in Calc & Writer. Everything was shut down properly. Then disconnected.

Now I'm on the road, fresh boot, fresh OO session, working on some new files ( haven't opened an existing one yet ) and I gave dialog boxes that are hidden from view. I can for instance click for the paragraph properties ... all other functions & typing are disabled ... but no dialog box? When I hit escape, I can type edit etc.

This means I can't perform certain functions till the end of week when I get back home :/

I don't know if this is known, or being worked on, but OO really should respect the active screen in use, and not blindingly suppose there is a second screen when thre clearly is none.

With dual monitors, you can have your primary ( laptop ) monitor and secondary ( external ) monitor; be working on the external monitor, and dialog boxes will appear on the primary ( laptop ) screen. So, you move it over, repeat it times x for all the dialog boxes that have appeared on the wrong screen ... and now without the second screen, it of course is hung up where it was moved to.

So far nothing I've tried or read online ( like this post ) has helped.

Could this be added to a bug list, or if a bug list exist, can I vote to get it fixed?
icerabbit
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to circumvent the issue, with a chance discovery glancing at the current topics in the forum [ http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=412651#412651 ]

When I hit ALT + SPACEBAR
a little shortcut menu with MOVE appeared in the bottom right of my laptop monitor ...
and I was able to drag the dialog box over.

Sigh of relief.
Still hoping this single - dual screen issue will get improved on.
lingenfr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy schnikeys! Resurrecting a 4 year old thread is really something. Shocking they haven't fixed this problem yet.
icerabbit
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread showed up during a quick search ... and, yes, amazingly, to some extent, was an issue back then, and hasn't been solved.

Hopefully the alt-spacebar can help the next person with this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: