OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Sheets and formulas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekcrawford
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Sheets and formulas Reply with quote

I am newer to spreadsheets. I am trying to create a standard bid sheet for my painting business using various sheets. All my prices are based on square foot of wall space. So on one on sheet I want to be able to list dimensions of rooms (height, length, width) multiple by certain prices per square foot (ie: 0.5 or 0.75...etc) to get a price per room -- but I want that to come out on another sheet that will arrange it and only give the name of the room and the price - not all the formulas. Then I can simply create a PDF (which i know how to do) and email to customer.

SO (1) how can I reference the sheet and cell(s) to bring over that price into the estimate form on a second sheet that I am creating for the customer... - both the name of room and the price for each room (2) How do I layout the second sheet to hide all the row and column lines - I know this has to be simple, and used to be able to do it on Excel, but can't figure it out in open office calc....

THNX for any and all help:)
ozzie
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on your estimate sheet,

click the cell where you require the price or whatever
type =
without doing anything else
go to your calculation sheet and click the cell where your info is
press enter
your estimate sheet will now show the info with a background formula that looks like this

Code:
=sheet1.A2

don't be afraid to play around with it and add $ signs for absolute referencing if necessary

question2 view -> column & row headers - untick

------------------
if this has answered your question please add "[Solved]" to the beginning of your first post title (edit button), that would save the busy people from looking in and perhaps interest learners like myself who are always looking for answers .
ekcrawford
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

i will fool around with your suggestions and see what it does. THNX
ekcrawford
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: adding entire rows and columns Reply with quote

I did what you did, worked great for referencing one cell. But what if i want to add up entire column or row and have that calculated on another sheet. I did what you said and tried to apply it to entire row... formula then looked like =sheet1.A1:Z1 BUT it only gave me the number in A1... it did not add up all the numbers in the row from A to Z... tried adjusting formula to =sheet1.SUM(A1:Z1) BUT only got an error.... What am I missing?
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: adding entire rows and columns Reply with quote

ekcrawford wrote:
I did what you did, worked great for referencing one cell. But what if i want to add up entire column or row and have that calculated on another sheet. I did what you said and tried to apply it to entire row... formula then looked like =sheet1.A1:Z1 BUT it only gave me the number in A1... it did not add up all the numbers in the row from A to Z... tried adjusting formula to =sheet1.SUM(A1:Z1) BUT only got an error.... What am I missing?

The sheet name needs to be in front of the cell coordinates.
Code:
=SUM(sheet1.A1:Z1)
ozzie
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will get you well past the basics-

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/b/b3/0300CS3-CalcGuide.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: