OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Extending number - click and drag on the corner of cells

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obolensky
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Extending number - click and drag on the corner of cells Reply with quote

Hi

I'm trying to extend a list of ID numbers. The column is called ID and the first six cells have a 1 in, the next six have a 2 in and so on upto about 20 so far. When I click and drag on the corner it goes back one and does each one twice, is there a quicker way of doing this than typing each ID number out 6 times?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Extending number - click and drag on the corner of cells Reply with quote

Obolensky wrote:
Hi

I'm trying to extend a list of ID numbers. The column is called ID and the first six cells have a 1 in, the next six have a 2 in and so on upto about 20 so far. When I click and drag on the corner it goes back one and does each one twice, is there a quicker way of doing this than typing each ID number out 6 times?

Im not quite sure I understand what you're doing but if I select a sequence of 111222333 in a column and drag I get what I think you want. 111222333444555 and so on.
Obolensky
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Extending number - click and drag on the corner of cells Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
Obolensky wrote:
Hi

Im not quite sure I understand what you're doing but if I select a sequence of 111222333 in a column and drag I get what I think you want. 111222333444555 and so on.

Not for me, it is what I want to do and I've tried it by doing 111222333 and dragging and after that it goes to 222333444333444 (i.e. goes back one number, does three correctly, goes back one number, does three correctly and so on)
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Extending number - click and drag on the corner of cells Reply with quote

Obolensky wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:
Obolensky wrote:
Hi

Not for me, it is what I want to do and I've tried it by doing 111222333 and dragging and after that it goes to 222333444333444 (i.e. goes back one number, does three correctly, goes back one number, does three correctly and so on)

You are selecting the entire sequence? Are you sure that you have numbers and not text

Blast it , a quick check and it even get the sequence when I deliberately formatted the cells as text. I don't have a clue at the moment.
Obolensky
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Extending number - click and drag on the corner of cells Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
Obolensky wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:
Obolensky wrote:
Hi

You are selecting the entire sequence? Are you sure that you have numbers and not text

Blast it , a quick check and it even get the sequence when I deliberately formatted the cells as text. I don't have a clue at the moment.
I am doing both of those.
ozzie
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming in column a.
Fill your first six rows with your 1

In row 7
Code:
= a1+1

and drag that formula down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: