OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Axis scales in diagrams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user957
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Axis scales in diagrams Reply with quote

Hi

I have a short table in calc I need to make into a diagram of 3 graphs. I took measurements of a 3 plants with varying time in between measurements. Sometimes 2 days, sometimes 4 days etc. I put the dates on the X- axis, however there is the same distance between every date, which isn't correct.

I did find the 'edit X- axisl' option but everything on the 'scale' tab is greyed out.

I'm using the swedish version so the translations may not be perfect and that's why I'm not finding the right path here...

I have OO 3.3.0 on WinXP SP3.

Oh and also, why can't I type i.e 28/2 for a date? (meaning 28th of feb). How do I stop it from autocorrecting these cells?

Thank you.

Last edited by user957 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn your line chart into a x/y-scatter chart.
user957
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Although this deletes one of the lines, and changes the names on both axes to numeric values (??????)...

Last edited by user957 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It plots a numeric scale on the x-axis against a numeric scale on the y-axis.
user957
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now I get it. But why is one of the graphs excluded?
user957
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded the file here for anyone to take a look.
Thanks.

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb204532/misc/upload.ods
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 (1 ml Al) plot is using the row 17 values for X and the row 18 values for Y.
The 3 (10 ml Al) plot is using the same X values and row 19 values for Y.
Your X axis is labelled "Date". There aren't any dates on the sheet. Maybe row 16 values (SNITT (mm)) has the X values. Just a guess.

Double click the chart then right-click it then select "Data Ranges" from the pop up menu to bring up the "Data Ranges" dialog. Use the dialog's "Data Series" tab sheet to add the missing plot and fix up the other two.

Ken Johnson
user957
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to type the dates in as 28,2 meaning 28/2 meaning february 28th, because calc wouldn't let me enter 28/2 without reformatting it to 2001-28-02 which is completely wrong and upside down and inside out. Extremely annoying. But it doesn't really matter since the XY scatter turns the dates into a numeric value anyway...............

Will try your suggestions, thanks!
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a date like 2001-28-02. Either you applied a user defined number format YYYY-DD-MM or you are running a strange office locale (Tools>OPtions...LanguageSettings>Languages>Locale)

It is impossible that 2001-28-02 is a wrong value when you entered 28th of February 2001 one way or the other way. It may be a "wrong" (unwanted) representation but the value is right. All formulas will use the right number. You can format that number in thousands of different ways without changing that value. BTW: The "true" numeric cell value is 36950 [which is "days since 1899-12-30" as you can see when you format a zero as date]

You can format your cells in many ways. Just do not expect that the program will format the cell automatically according to the flavour of your input. Such an auto-formatting will never happen.
When you enter some numeric expression into an "unformatted" cell (number format "General") the application will apply one particular date format, one particular time format, one particular decimal format depending on the set number format locale or global locale setting.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way you should be getting a date like that.

You may want to [url=http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403]reset the user profile[/url . It often cures weird behaviours in OOo.

When I enter 28,2 I get a text string but I'm using a Canadian language setting where . not , is the decimal separator. Still 28/2/11 gives 28/02/11 in your sheet.
user957
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not being entirely accurate in my first post regarding this latest dilemma, I was probably too frustrated to think clearly. Here's exactly what happens:

"28/2" --> "28-02-01"

Why it changes to 2001 is beyond me. However, I figured out how to add a user defined format as DD/MM and it's working now.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Even though I have a user defined date now there's a new problem;

Example: 28,2 is reformatted with DD/MM and changes to 28/02. Fine. 8,3 is reformatted with DD/MM and changes to 07/01......... WTF!? I am on my last shred of patience now. This program may be logical but it's definately not intuitive or user friendly.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

user957 wrote:
Sorry for not being entirely accurate in my first post regarding this latest dilemma, I was probably too frustrated to think clearly. Here's exactly what happens:

"28/2" --> "28-02-01"

Why it changes to 2001 is beyond me. However, I figured out how to add a user defined format as DD/MM and it's working now.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Even though I have a user defined date now there's a new problem;

Example: 28,2 is reformatted with DD/MM and changes to 28/02. Fine. 8,3 is reformatted with DD/MM and changes to 07/01......... WTF!? I am on my last shred of patience now. This program may be logical but it's definately not intuitive or user friendly.

I cannot reproduce the problem here. using Canadian English settings but I'm getting similar results with my local and decimal separator set to Swedish. Replacing the , with / gives

28,2 --> 28-02-01
but
8,3 ---> 11-08-03

So similar and equally wrong but not exactly the same. I supposed this difference could be due to the time difference from your post to my reply.

With 11,03,01 or 8,3,11 I get text.

With a locale change to German (Germany) 28/2 gives me 28.02.11

I have to agree with your WTF response. This is definitely screwy.
I wonder if you have found some subtle bug in the Swedish implementation of OOo?
user957
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah maybe it's a bug. Can I report it in somewhere? Maybe the the swedish developers would like to take a look at it. I actually made a short video of it too;

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb204532/misc/calcFAIL.avi

EDIT: Found the bug reporter page as well. It's in the following link if any reader is interested;

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

user957 wrote:
Yeah maybe it's a bug. Can I report it in somewhere? Maybe the the swedish developers would like to take a look at it. I actually made a short video of it too;

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb204532/misc/calcFAIL.avi

EDIT: Found the bug reporter page as well. It's in the following link if any reader is interested;

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

I assume you're filing an bug report. If so, it would probably help others if you posted it here.

What I find strange iws that it does not seem have been noticed before. It is present in 3.2.1 and 3.3.0.

A short term solution is to pretend to be Canadian for the graph. I just wish I could ce Swedish for my dates. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: