OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Format changes when I press enter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papalhonac

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Format changes when I press enter Reply with quote

I'm working on a text using a custom style. Every time I press "enter" to begin a new paragraph the format of my just-typed paragraph changes to a random new style: the font changes, the inter-line spacing changes, the first line indent changes. And the new paragraph also loses my desired style. I have to type Control + Z to re-set the already-typed paragraph, but the new paragraph remains in the wrong style.

This happened quite suddenly after years of using Open Office Writer every day (I am a professional writer). My PC crashed and when I re-booted I discovered this problem. I uninstalled Open Office and re-installed, but the problem persists. I can find nothing on the Tools -- options menu to correct this.
Does anyone have any solutions?
Many thanks
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ususal advice is to reset the user profile,

Other than that, what does the Style say about about next style (under the Organizer tab?
I wonder if in some weird way you are picking up a different style here? Seems very unlikely but it may happen.
papalhonac

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that reply. I am in the process of resetting the profile but I have a further question which you may be able to answer: following the guidelines of the Tutorial to reset my profile, the Tutorial says I should "change the /user folder". Implying just one. But when I open Open Office>Tools>Options>Paths I find there are 5 /user folders ( user/autocorr; user/autotext; user/ backup; user/gallery; user/gallery (the last one twice)). So my question is: Should I write user/old after each of these five? The tutorial implies there would only be one, in which case, which one?
papalhonac

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in answer to the second part of your question:
Let's say I write a first paragraph in a custom style called My Style. I press on enter for a new paragraph. The new second paragraph retains the name My Style and its attributes, but the first paragraph has now lost its attributes (font, inter-line spacing, indent) and calls itself First Line Indent. So I suppose I could go to style and modify First Line Indent so that it has all the attributes of my custom My Style. That solves the immediate time-wasting problem but does not address the real issue: clearly something is malfunctioning and I would like to find out what that is and put it right.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But when I open Open Office>Tools>Options>Paths
This is just one way to determine the location of the user folder. There are actually many more sub-directories in it than you are seeing. You just want to go to the location of the user folder and rename it user.old.

I once suffered from your problem and resetting the user folder fixed it.

Because you are a longtime user you may have much in your user folder that you would like to retain - personal macros for instance. You can try overwriting some of the sub-directories in the new user directory with those in the old.
papalhonac

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly you guys are amazing. Thank you so much for your help. I just would not believe that simply typing .old after "users" and restarting would do the trick -- but it did. So thank you both again for your time and knowledge. Very best...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: