OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Auto Correct Fraction Size [Solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImRooster49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Auto Correct Fraction Size [Solved] Reply with quote

Not sure I know the correct term for what I'm asking; I just upgraded to OO Version 3.3, and all my previous versions had the capability - I believe it was through the auto-correct function - that fractions with either a 2 or a 4 denominator were automatically reduced in font size.

I find that the program no longer performs this function, and I cannot seem to figure out how to start it up again. Is this a known "bug"? Is it no longer available in the upgraded version? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Any feedback re this issue would be appreciated!

Last edited by ImRooster49 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still works for me, 1/2, 1/4 and 3/4 are in the replacement table for Dutch and English (USA and Br). Maybe you use a different language that doesn't have them in the list.

If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
ImRooster49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floris, thanks for your reply - after a Google search, I managed to locate a "fix" for my dilemma - I'll enumerate in the event someone else runs into the same issue:

1. Open a new document, and from the MENU bar, select INSERT, then Special Character...;

2. From the Subset drop-down list (the default in MY version is LATIN-1), the smaller font sizes for 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 are revealed; to reveal same for 1/3, 2/3, 1/8, 3/8, 5/8, and 7/8, select GENERAL PUNCTUATION.

3. Select the desired "fraction font" and click OK; it will then be inserted into the blank document;

4. Highlight the displayed fraction font, select TOOLS, and then AutoCorrect Options...

5. In the ensuing dialog box that appears, in the Replace Tab, the Replace box will be empty, and the With box should contain the desired fraction font;

6. In the Replace box, type the fraction as you normally would, and then select NEW;

7. The desired fraction font will now be displayed automatically after typing the normal fraction in the body of the text being created;

8. Repeat the preceding steps for each fraction font desired.

In each version of MS Word I've owned, and in all of my previous versions of OO, I've never had to perform these steps; perhaps my download had some corrupted files...
BasicGuy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: no replacement table for most fractions Reply with quote

I am running OO calc 3.3.0 on a Mac. The pull down "subset" menu under Special Characters does not have a General Punctuation submenu, and there are only three fractions listed under Latin-1: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. I do a lot of technical calcs on water pipes and need all the fractions reduced, or I will have to dump the three that it does have.

Anyone have a method to create the special characters?

Sad
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What font do you use? The other fractions may not be available in it. The Andalus font, for instance, only offers 1/2, 1/4 and 3/4, while Arial offers a lot more.
BasicGuy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use Arial. The three fractions are all that show in the list. I have deleted them. They are useless when I need 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, etc....
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked that those other characters are available in your implementation of Arial? If they are, you can add them to the replacement table in Autocorrect options. That worked for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: