OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

MS Access FAQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brunus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew,
we are all impatiently waiting for the following part of "how to migrate an access db into OOo Base, as you promised to Tom: what happened?

thanks,
brunus
rolfd65

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Memo fields are not supported, rest seems to work using ADO Reply with quote

Hi folks,

after following the suggestions everything looks good to me except all contents of my memo fields have been cut at what looks like 255 characters. Any suggestion how to transfer a table containing memo fields properly from Access97 to Base 3.0?

Best Regards

Rolf Confused

DrewJensen wrote:
Hi Tom,

Well, the first thing to do would be to look at this page on the OO.org wiki

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Connecting_to_Microsoft_Access

Then we could start looking how to migrate from an MS Access database to a Base database.
Kevin.odb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Memo fields are not supported, rest seems to work using Reply with quote

rolfd65 wrote:
Hi folks,

after following the suggestions everything looks good to me except all contents of my memo fields have been cut at what looks like 255 characters. Any suggestion how to transfer a table containing memo fields properly from Access97 to Base 3.0?

Best Regards

Rolf Confused

I am having the same problem. Does anybody have an answer for this?
Arineckaig
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW you might try transferring long memo fields from MS Access into Base, by using the intermediate step of a Calc spreadsheet.
1.Register the MS Access file with Base as a new database;
2.Create and open a new Calc spreadsheet;
3.Press f4 and open MS Access table in top window;
4.Select the whole table and drag into the Calc spreadsheet;
5.Close and save Calc spreadsheet;
6.Register Calc spreadsheet with Base as a new database;
7.Do not close this Base file yet;
8.Open a further new empty Base file;
9.Click and drag table from first (Calc linked) Base file to the new Base file;
10.Save and close both Base files.
gar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewJensen wrote:
Yes, that would be one way to put it.

I connected to an mdb file (rather than mde). In addition to the tables the queries were also visible but they were treated as tables. Is that what you would expect?
Stoob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: access database engine not in list Reply with quote

I am reading the documentation here on opening an ACCDB file.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Connecting_to_Microsoft_Access#Microsoft_Access

It says to select
Microsoft Office 12.0 Access Database Engine OLE DB Provider

From the list of providers. This engine/provider (wahtever that is) doesn't exist in the list. I downloaded OpenOffice yesterday for the first time. Version 3.3 running on Windows 7.

What now? How do I find the specified Engine?
Arineckaig
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I downloaded OpenOffice yesterday for the first time. Version 3.3 running on Windows 7.
What now?

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry that you have not already had a reply. I have to confess I have only worked with the earlier Access MDB files. I believe, however, that you will find that since that particular Wiki entry was written, OpenOffice can now directly link to and read a MS Access 2007 file.

When opening a new Base file select the "Connect to an existing database" radio button in the first dialog of the Wizard. From its adjacent drop down box select "Microsoft Access 2007". Click the "Next" button and browse to your MS file.

When you have established a connection between Base and the Access file you should be able to read or write data to the tables in the Access file while the queries in Access will also appear as views in Base. If you wish to develop the full database in Base you will need to copy and paste these these tables and views into a new empty Base file that can then use its embedded HQSLDB database system. The forms and reports in MS Access, however, will not be available to Base.
mike01a

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance that forms, reports, and modules from the Access mdb will be imported to the Base?

"Tables Only" means a total re-write of the Access program, so you might as well create new tables and just import data to the Base.
Arineckaig
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any chance that forms, reports, and modules from the Access mdb will be imported to the Base?

Welcome to the forum.
Access is proprietary software and thus unlikely that its forms or reports will be readily imported into Base: these items belong to the front-end of Access and of Base. As you say the best that you can do with Base and Windows is either to link the Base front-end to the back-end of Access or to import by copying and pasting the Access back-end data (tables and views) into whichever back-end database system (its embedded HQSL, HQSLDB2, MySQL, SQL Lite etc) you wish to use with the Base front-end. Without Open Office operating on MS Windows you will not even be able to link Base to the Access back-end and thus import the back-end data because the necessary driver is MS proprietary software.
mike01a

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I think what I read here is the Access forms, reports, and vba modules will never be converted and imported into the Base. Having the Access tables available in an mdb is nice but no help, since the data in those tables can be imported to a Base table. Then you no longer need the Access mdb.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: