OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do I create a list showing hierarchy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EJM7717

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: How do I create a list showing hierarchy Reply with quote

I would like to import a list of parts from My OOo spreadsheet into the Base, and then in the form show the hierarchy of the parts. There is 6 levels of hierarchy (Part, Part assembly, Sub-Assembly, Assembly, Sub-System, System. In the form I want to select the system from a drop down menu, and on the right in the form it will show it as the top level with an arrow next to it, click on the arrow and it shows the next level down, and so forth.

Can I do this in Base?
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we get 11 tables. 6 lists of items and 5 tables to mapping items to their respective sub-items. This gives 5 many-to-many relations.
In the relations manager this would look like this with the connector lines betwenn the primary keys of the lists and the foreign keys of the mappings:
[P]1--n[P_PA]n--1[PA]1--n[PA_SA]n--1[SA]1--n[SA_A]n--1[A]1--n[A_SS]n--1[SS]1--n[SS_S]n--1[S]

A typical man-to-many relation between 2 list mapped by a 3rd table and a for of meals with a subform of ingredients (and off topic another subform of calculated nutrition values).
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/download/file.php?id=8641

As a user interface you need a form of systems (S), a subform grid of mapped subsystems (SS_S), a subsubform grid of mapped assemblies (A_SS), a subsubsubform of mapped subassembies (SA_A), a subsubsubsubform of mapped part assemblies (PA_SA) and a subsubsubsubsubform of mapped parts (P_PA).
When you select any item the next item shows the corresponding subitems. By default the first item is selected.
EJM7717

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give it a try. One question, How can I get it to display in the box of subassemblies graphically like when your in windows looking through the directory, sub directory sub-sub directory...

Showing the hierarchy ... each level is indentured
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tree view is not possible this way. Filling a tree view requires a lot of programming effort. The set of tables and forms takes 30 minutes of heavy clicking and you can insert, delete and update all the records directly in place.
EJM7717

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you your assistance helped me and is greatly appreciated.

Maybe I should ask someone to educate and mentor me as I am new to programming. Being an Automotive engineer I work on mechanical and electrical devices, but have not performed any programming. so this is all new to me!

Very best regards
Eric
gmudgal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJM7717 wrote:
Thank you your assistance helped me and is greatly appreciated.

Maybe I should ask someone to educate and mentor me as I am new to programming. Being an Automotive engineer I work on mechanical and electrical devices, but have not performed any programming. so this is all new to me!

Very best regards
Eric

Hello Eric,

I am exactly in the same stage as you were a few months back. - A mechanical engineer needing to create a hierarchical database - assembly of parts and sub-assemblies to essentially generate a Bill of Materials. This I am trying with OO Base but am struggling a little.

Want to check if you were able to make any headway in this direction?

Thanks,
-Girish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: