OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[SOLVED] Opening Single Documents in Multiple Windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apollothethird
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Opening Single Documents in Multiple Windows Reply with quote

Is it possible to have a document opened in two windows at the same time. The purpose of this is to be able to view various parts of the document while editing a different spot on the same document.

You can do this with Microsoft word. One of the documents windows in Microsoft Word having the document opened will report it as readonly. You can also do this with most of the programming editors that I'm familiar with. On the various programming editors when making changes in one window, you can scroll up or down and find the changes are simultaneously appearing in the other window with the document opened.

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Last edited by apollothethird on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on "Window" then "New Window".

PS - It's probably not the best idea to post your email address in a public forum.
apollothethird
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

Thanks. Works like a charm... better than the above mentioned programs!

Quote:
PS - It's probably not the best idea to post your email address in a public forum.

I use the information in my messages for research when giving support on the various forums. For instance when the next person ask a question concerning OpenOffice and editing, I'll type this into a search engine:

i.e.:
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=openoffice+ljames%40apollo3.com+windows+edit&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f0db36aa1c9349b9&biw=958&bih=731

This will find this resolution of which I'll pass on to the next person having problems.

Thanks again for the tip. But the powerful research method has for 20 years (actually since 1993) allowed me to efficiently contribute back to to the Internet which has been so generous to me in support.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames
sprokofiev
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

But note that this requires Print Layout view. For some inexplicable reason, "New Window" is grayed out in Web Layout view.
apollothethird
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprokofiev wrote:
Ed wrote:

But note that this requires Print Layout view. For some inexplicable reason, "New Window" is grayed out in Web Layout view.

I just checked. You're right. I tested it. It's rather curious that the programmers appears to have went so far to make sure you can't see the web layout in two positions. If you have two windows opened in print layout and look at the document in web layout in one of the windows, it'll force the other window closed.

Hopefully someone close to the developers will point this out and get them to open up the ability to view to positions in web layout also. I could see it as a enhancement in productivity.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: