OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

(Part SOLVED) Cannot paste into Writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wak
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: (Part SOLVED) Cannot paste into Writer Reply with quote

Hi, At present I'm using OOo 3.2.1. and Windows XP.
I find that I can copy a web site to the clip board with Ctrl C but cannot paste the clipboard contents into Writer with Ctrl V, although I can paste the same content into Wordpad OK.
I have noticed that a lot of folk have problems with the file Soffice.BIN and have been checking this out, If I click the My Computer icon on the Desk top\ Tools \ Folder Options\ File Types, I see that the file extension .BIN is allocated to VLC Media Player (by Videolan) which I use for video and audio playing. I feel that this is incorrect as I think the Soffice,BIN file should be allocated to a Microsoft application.
When trying to paste any content into Writer, the program hangs with the egg-timer showing and then stops responding.
If anyone has the same set-up (OOo 3.2.1 and Win XP) would they PLEASE check and see which application their .BIN file extension is allocated to and let me know???
I also understand that the new OOo 3.3 version is not compatible with files produced by earlier versions of OOo therefore I do not with to install a newer version at this stage.
As I am writing from the UK I shall shortly be in bed and will therefore be checking in the morning for any possible replies.
Many thanks to the folks who kindly respond to this request and a very Goodnight to you all.
Wak.

Last edited by Wak on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
therabi
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file type association is not the problem, Soffice.bin is a binary program and is called by name when it is needed. So this should not have anything to do with your problem. The problem that has happened with Soffice.* is that they do not completely close when OOo is closed.

Can you provide a reference that says that files are not compatible? That is the great thing about ODF is that more programs can access the files, unlike MSO that can and do change file formats when every they like.
Wak
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Therabi, Many thanks for the quick response which means that I no longer have to be concerned with the file type association of .BIN files. That's one problem door closed! Very Happy
I'm afraid I can't forward the link regarding the incompatibility of older files with version 3.3.0 as it was one of the many that I found when Googling Soffice.bin and I cannot find it anywhere today, but some poor chap had quite a lot of problems when he updated to V. 3.3. Sorry about that!
I was going to reinstall version 3.2.1 but couldn't find a suitable download link but if you are certain that version 3.3.0 is compatible with older files, then I'll try that.
Many thanks once again for your valuable help.
Regards,
Wak.
Wak
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: (solved) Pasting in Writer Reply with quote

Just to advise that I have now removed the file type association of .BIN = VLC Media Player and the pasting problem still exists.
For now I will consider this part of the problem solved and keep looking for other solutions to this on-going problem.
Many thanks,
Wak.
Wak
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I recently tried to copy a web site and pressed the Ctrl + C to send it to the clipboard as usual. I then opened Writer and pressed Ctrl + V ( as usual) but I then left the computer alone with the egg-timer on the screen. ( If the mouse or keyboard is clicked in any way, it always goes to "Not responding" so it must be left alone.)
After about 7 to 10 minutes, the copy appeared in Writer with a message saying that it was not possible to open Facebook which must obviously have been a link on the required web page.
Maybe it's the in-built links which are causing the problem???
Just a thought!!
Wak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: