OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice vs MS-Office?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walterbyrd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: OpenOffice vs MS-Office? Reply with quote

As I see it, OpenOffice has the following advantages: cost, multi-platform, more file formats. Whereas MS-Office open faster, has more features, works better with OOXML files, has more documention, and is the accepted standard.

Whether the ribbon is an advantage, or disadvantage for ms-office, I suppose, is a matter of personal preference. I don't care for the ribbon myself.

Am I wrong about anything, or am I missing anything.
heimannm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am preferring OpenOffice against MS-Office.
OpenOffice is very reliable, easy to convert facility and much more advantages.

Moderation probe1: your signature is SPAM and therefor was deleted by me

Last edited by heimannm on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice vs MS-Office? Reply with quote

walterbyrd wrote:
As I see it, OpenOffice has the following advantages: cost, multi-platform, more file formats. Whereas MS-Office open faster, has more features, works better with OOXML files, has more documention, and is the accepted standard.

Whether the ribbon is an advantage, or disadvantage for ms-office, I suppose, is a matter of personal preference. I don't care for the ribbon myself.

Am I wrong about anything, or am I missing anything.

Well re the OOOML it should it's MS's own not ISO-complete compliant format.

What does MS do that OOo does not?

MS is not so much the accepted standard as a defacto monopoly.

While there may be more documentation available for MSS there is more than enough good documentation available for OOo and again it's free.

From my point of view OOo is much easier to use and once you master the use of Styles , at least for Writer and Calc much handier.

But then, I never did like MS Office and only used it when my favourite Mac wp went out of business
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have missed the fact that OOo has full built-in support for the ISO standard ODF file formats, and even uses them as its native format. MS Office's support for ODF formats, on the other hand, is extremely poor.
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
You have missed the fact that OOo has full built-in support for the ISO standard ODF file formats, and even uses them as its native format. MS Office's support for ODF formats, on the other hand, is extremely poor.

That doesn't matter a lot because MS's formats are the de facto standard, lots of OOo users save in that format all the time.
But all that is beside the point. What does matter is ease of use. Both have weaknesses and strengths; Writer has better styles, I certainly like the way you can have headers with chapter titles inserted as fields, as opposed to the cumbersome sections in Word; but Word wins hands down when it comes to find/replace across paragraphs or with regular expressions (the "greedy" mode in Writer is very irritating).
HWL
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: OO vs Exel vs Libre Reply with quote

My employment requires that I be proficient in Excel and OO since we have hundreds, perhaps thousands of users utilizing both programs. Here are the pros and cons:

EXCEL
pros:
de facto format
better filtering mechinism
better sorting mechinism
macros run

cons:
cost/licensure per unit
lack of to pdf feature as standard
poor or nonexistent ability to open .ods format
older versions can't open .xlsx

OO
pros:
FREE
able to open .xls .ods. xlsx

cons:
can't run Excel macros (unless you buy the proprietary developments)
poor filtering mech
poor sorting mech
defaulted to weird delete options list (can be changed through settings)
cannot handle wildcards unless reg express enabled and will not stay enabled when opening .xls files.

So, when Sunsystems and others began to further develop OO and charge for it, the original developers wanted to remain free and began working on LibreOffice, based on the OO platform (see http://libreoffice.org).

I have found Libre solves the filtering, sorting and most of all basic running of macros issue.

I am urging my OO users to move to LibreOffice.

No, I don't work for or get any compensation from Libre -- I just like it.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OO vs Exel vs Libre Reply with quote

HWL wrote:
EXCEL
pros:
macros run

cons:

OO
pros:
cons:
can't run Excel macros (unless you buy the proprietary developments)

Actually both products have macro facilities, and neither can run the other's macros. "Macros run" is really a pro for both and "can't run (the other's) macros" is a con for both. There's no real point mentioning macros at all in a comparison, since the situation is exactly the same for both it's not an advantage of one over the other anyway.

HWL wrote:
So, when Sunsystems and others began to further develop OO and charge for it, the original developers wanted to remain free and began working on LibreOffice, based on the OO platform (see http://libreoffice.org).

Not entirely correct. The charged-for products, Star Office and Oracle Open Office, were additional products. There were never any plans to charge anything for the official OOo package, which is published under a free software licence.
HWL
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: OO vs Exel vs Libre Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Actually both products have macro facilities, and neither can run the other's macros. "Macros run" is really a pro for both and "can't run (the other's) macros" is a con for both. There's no real point mentioning macros at all in a comparison, since the situation is exactly the same for both it's not an advantage of one over the other anyway.

Thanks Ed, my company uses, Excel 2007, OO 3.1, and now Libre 3.3
I just know that OO 3.1 cannot process Macros created in Excel, whereas Libre 3.3 does process basic macros created in Excel. OO 3.1 is becoming less useful in my company.

Ed wrote:
Not entirely correct. The charged-for products, Star Office and Oracle Open Office, were additional products. There were never any plans to charge anything for the official OOo package, which is published under a free software licence.

Exactly, OO never "planned" to charge anything, but as Oracle and these others moved in, further developed OO and began to charge for it.

Per the wikipedia entry on LibreOffice:

Quote:
"On 28 September 2010, several members of the OpenOffice.org project formed a new group called "The Document Foundation". The Document Foundation created LibreOffice from their former project, over concerns that Oracle Corporation would either discontinue OpenOffice.org, or place restrictions on it as an open-source project, as it had on OpenSolaris." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

All I know, is LibreOffice 3.3, out of the box does have advantages over OO 3.1.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: OO vs Exel vs Libre Reply with quote

HWL wrote:
Ed wrote:

Exactly, OO never "planned" to charge anything, but as Oracle and these others moved in, further developed OO and began to charge for it.
Once again, the paid-for products, Oracle Open Office was an additional product, just the same as Sun's Star Office was. No one has ever charged for OOo itself, nor would anyone be allowed to because it is free software.

HWL wrote:
All I know, is LibreOffice 3.3, out of the box does have advantages over OO 3.1.
You are comparing a version of LO from 2011 to a version of the official OOo from 2009, so not a fair comparison.
philb1
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had my first experience of Excel in Office 97. I hope Calc doesn't change to the ribbon thingy. I been playing with Excel for a good few hours & I can only say that I think Calc is laid out better & much easier to navigate through. Excel looks like it's got a lot of features for creating formulas. I like the charts Excel produces, nice eye candy. But overall it seems to me that a lot of things in Excel are buried in sub menus, more-so than Calc. At the end of the day, it's what you're used to I suppose. I did find that Excel doesn't play nicely with the xlsx files saved from Calc. That's a disaster. It doesn't even like xls files from Calc. Things like formatting & conditional formatting don't carry through well. Calc on the other hand opens files from Excel with ease.
I'll stick with Calc. I used to use OOO3.3, but it was forever not responding, crashing & having to have files recovered. I switched to Libreoffice 3.4. Much more responsive & stable. On W7 if that's useful to someone..
numbernine619

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i m using open office from last 3 years it is running well but some of the things it had gave me problem like when we enter any numeric digits contain .(dot) that will automatically convert in any other words. i don't know why.
winusne20

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what? Face the reality: ODF has not gained any significance so far. And MS Office formats are still prevailing.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esperantisto wrote:
So what? Face the reality: ODF has not gained any significance so far. And MS Office formats are still prevailing.

Well, this may be so in the US and what they call "New Europe".
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esperantisto wrote:

I dunno..., I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who use OOo or refer to friends/family etc who use it.

I suspect that MSformats are still prevailing but not as much as before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: