OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[SOLVED] How to improve MS Word compatibility?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PseudoPsyche
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] How to improve MS Word compatibility? Reply with quote

SOLUTION (thanks to Sliderule):

In Libre/Open Office export your document to PDF: File => Export as PDF...

Go to www.zamzar.com and upload your new PDF, then select *.doc or *.docx format to convert to. Input the email address you would like the converted document sent to, click convert, and wait for it in your inbox!

Keep in mind, there is no such thing as 100% compatibility from Libre/Open Office => MS Word, but this is most definately the closest I have ever come!

Hope this will help others facing the same problem!

~PseudoPsyche

ORIGINAL POST:

Ok, I'm using LibreOffice 3.3 under Fedora Linux. I am a student, and as such am required to submit papers to my professors via email much of the time. My problem is that much of my formatting is not maintained when saving my documents in either *.doc or *.docx formats. My instructor is able to open *.odt documents in Word 2007/2010, but she is both unable to comment on them or see my original formatting.

For example, I just submitted a paper with several bulleted lists. When saved to Word formats the bullets are changed into other random symbols. Also, my instructor informed me that when she opened the paper in *.odt format that I sent her, the bullet symbols were "strange" and that there was no indentation on any of the bulleted items (ie. all fully left-aligned).

I have install MS fonts in Fedora, so I have resolved my font compatibility issues. However, is there anything that I can do to ensure that at least a good amount of my intended formatting remains when saving in Word formats?

Thank you for any help.

~PseudoPsyche

Last edited by PseudoPsyche on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatley, no. !00% compatibility is not guaranteed between .odt and .doc formats. If you want that then use MS Office.
PseudoPsyche
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not necessarily asking for 100% compatibility, I understand that's unfeasible. I'm just wondering if there's anyway to improve my chances. For example, by installing MS fonts, that solved the problem of my fonts being displayed improperly. Is there anyway I can install bullet images that MS uses so that when my bullets are opened in Word they look the same? Or any way to make sure that by indentations are recognized by Word?

Just looking for different ways to improve my chances at compatible documents, so any ideas are appreciated.

I've edited the thread title to better reflect my intention.

Thanks.

~PseudoPsyche
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other option to consider.

I would suggest, if your professor(s) will permit, that you not send them Word documents, but rather, PDF documents ( Portable Document Format ) . By definition, PDF files are readable by users, regardless of operating system.

In Writer, from the Menu:

File -> Export as PDF...

You could 'test' this out with a sample, and, open it in the PDF reader of your choice. Also, open it on another computer, with a PDF reader, and, confirm it 'looks' as you desire. Smile

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post Title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
PseudoPsyche
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliderule wrote:
One other option to consider.

I would suggest, if your professor(s) will permit, that you not send them Word documents, but rather, PDF documents ( Portable Document Format ) . By definition, PDF files are readable by users, regardless of operating system.

In Writer, from the Menu:

File -> Export as PDF...

You could 'test' this out with a sample, and, open it in the PDF reader of your choice. Also, open it on another computer, with a PDF reader, and, confirm it 'looks' as you desire. Smile

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post Title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.

I could do this, indeed I have for one other teacher, but this teacher corrects papers by using the comment function to add comments to specific parts of the papers in the margin.

Apparently her copy of Word denied her this ability when I sent her an *.odt, and to my knowledge there is no comparable function easily accessible for PDFs. Even if there is, I'm in the boat of "this is the way I always do it, and I'm not changing for one student".

Thank you for the idea anyway though.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's take this one step further.

I do NOT know if it will work, but, it is worth a try.

ZAMZAR is a web site, that, can take a file that is uploaded, and, convert it to another format. Additionally, ZAMZAR is free for anyone. The ZAMZAR site is:

1. Zamzar Home page: http://www.zamzar.com/

2. Zamzar Conversion Types: http://www.zamzar.com/conversionTypes.php

So, you could upload your file, and, it could email you back, almost instantaneously, a file in .doc format.

This way, you could see if the Zamzar conversion is better in .doc format . . . fonts etc. Smile

Just a thought.

Sliderule

PseudoPsyche
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliderule wrote:
OK, let's take this one step further.

I do NOT know if it will work, but, it is worth a try.

ZAMZAR is a web site, that, can take a file that is uploaded, and, convert it to another format. Additionally, ZAMZAR is free for anyone. The ZAMZAR site is:

1. Zamzar Home page: http://www.zamzar.com/

2. Zamzar Conversion Types: http://www.zamzar.com/conversionTypes.php

So, you could upload your file, and, it could email you back, almost instantaneously, a file in .doc format.

This way, you could see if the Zamzar conversion is better in .doc format . . . fonts etc. Smile

Just a thought.

Sliderule

Well, we are seeing some improvements. The bullet symbols look normal, however they becomes left aligned again (ie, no indentation). This was yielded by *.doc conversion, *.docx conversion failed. *.doc is fine if I can make it work.

I read that Word uses the WingDings font for bullets, I'm pulling the font files off a Windows computer and will install them in Linux to see if it improves anything by forcing bullets in LibreOffice to use WingDings. If it does though, I'm still worried that this would again only solve the symbol issue, and the indentation issue would remain.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have NO idea, but, try this . . . if it does not hurt too much.

From your computer, EXPORT the file as PDF.

Let Zamzar convert the PDF to Microsoft .doc

Will it keep the indentation . . . I have no idea, but, it might be worth a try.

Sliderule

PseudoPsyche
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliderule wrote:
I have NO idea, but, try this . . . if it does not hurt too much.

From your computer, EXPORT the file as PDF.

Let Zamzar convert the PDF to Microsoft .doc

Will it keep the indentation . . . I have no idea, but, it might be worth a try.

Sliderule

Heck to the yes!!! It worked 100%! Thank you so much! It retains all formatting and is still completely editable in *.doc form! Only thing is that the bullets are now recognized as text symbols rather than as bullets, but that doesn't matter since I don't plan to edit the *.doc form.

Thank you again for this! You have no idea how much this is going to help me out with my classes!

Adding solution to OP, and marking thread as solved.

~PseudoPsyche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: