OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

tables longer than page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guest1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: tables longer than page Reply with quote

i have a problem.
First og all i recognised it as i tried to convert a word XP document to OOo writer.
The table of the word document was 2 pages long and OOo didn page two pages out of it but just showed the part of the table with was showable on the first page and the rest was "behind" the second page; not viewable.

I thaught this was a problem of the conversation. But then i tried to rebuild this table. Same happened. Is this a bug or am i simply too stupid for this Wink
billbc
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using OpenOffice 1.1.1 or 1.1.2?
Tables are sometimes tricky .... once I had a table where itt helped to click on "Show hiden paragraphs" ("View" menu)
Can't think of anything more helpful at the moment!
ftack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try right-clicking the table, then Table - text flow: I guess that "Do not split table" will be checked. If you uncheck it, tables can split across pages between rows.
tk06072004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Tables across page boundaries Reply with quote

Create a table of one row and one or more columns. Then enter text into any column ensuring that it overflows the page. The text past the page boundary remains invisible no matter what the setting of Table - text flow or Show hidden paragraphs is set to.

OpenOffice.org squawks when scrollling through the table past the first page boundary.

This seems like a serious bug in 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. I have not tried this in 1.0.x
ftack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed a limitation in the current implementation of Tables in Writer (wouldn't call it a bug or programming error, it is just a limitation). A very old issue has been filed on this. I just tried to revive attention putting two votes of mine.
DannyB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a table bug fixed in 2.0 having to do with a single row spanning more than a single page.
skecs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: table row spanning multiple pages Reply with quote

Has anything been done to fix this? I use tables all the time to layout lesson plans and the content often flows over the size of the page - it makes using, formatting and printing impossible.

It would seem more than a "limitation" - more like a very serious flaw.
Crying or Very sad
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register at OpenOffice.org and vote for the issue. Also post a comment why you deem this feature important. This draws attention to the issue and may convince the developpers that this would constitute a significant improvement in Tables in Writer.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until this issue is addressed you can use linked frames to flow text from one page to the next.
Francesco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: multi-pages tables Reply with quote

I currently use documents with a lot of multi-pages tables. For me this is more than a limitation: I have to migrate back to MSWord Crying or Very sad

Francesco
mercierb
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Until this issue is addressed you can use linked frames to flow text from one page to the next.

How do you use linked frames?
mercierb
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: multi-pages tables Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
I currently use documents with a lot of multi-pages tables. For me this is more than a limitation: I have to migrate back to MSWord Crying or Very sad

Francesco

I am facing this serious flaw as well.
I am in the process of translating a users guide made in OO.
For my facility I want the original text at the left, so I can translate on the right of the page.

I tried setting up a document with two columns, but the text flows from the right to the left instead of flowing to the next page in the same left column.

So I tried the table approach and run into the problem described here.
OO is unusable in this sitution while (sniff sniff) Word is doing the business.

Where do I have to go to vote to get more focus for the problem?
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: multi-pages tables Reply with quote

mercierb wrote:
I am facing this serious flaw as well.
I am in the process of translating a users guide made in OO.
For my facility I want the original text at the left, so I can translate on the right of the page.

I tried setting up a document with two columns, but the text flows from the right to the left instead of flowing to the next page in the same left column.

So I tried the table approach and run into the problem described here.
OO is unusable in this sitution while (sniff sniff) Word is doing the business.

Where do I have to go to vote to get more focus for the problem?

I see that this will cause much troble to many users until the limitation is overcome by the developers. So I've created a template based on mercierb's requirements using a 2 columns by 1 row table and 2 pairs of linked frames. In this document, the left column will flow over to the next page onto the left column, and the right column will flow over to the next page on the right column.

This is how I did it:

1. Create a table, 2 columns by 2 rows. make the necessary changes to border etc as you wish. Make sure that the table header is unchecked.

2. Place your cursor in the first cell on the left column.

3. Insert a Frame (Insert-Frame... from thew menu). Make sure that the Auto Size option under the Type tab (buried under the SIze section) is chaecked. Increase the size of the Frame to its maximum and also make the neccesary changes to border etc. The frame should be anchored to paragraph.

(In the example, I make the first frame having a pink backgroud for easy identification)

3. Now place your cursor in the first cell on the SECOND row and repeat stpe 2 above.

(I use a red backgroud for this frame)

4. With the Pink Frame selected (ie with the 6 small green boxes surrounding the frame) click on the Link Frame icon and then click on the Red Frame. This will link the Pink Frame to the Red Frame. you should see a non-printing line connecting these 2 frames from the end of the Pink Frame to the begining of the Red Frame.

5. Repeat step 2, 3 and 4 for the Right column with the necessry changes and modification to the instructions. (here I use light blue and dark blue for the background).

6. You can copy your text into the Pink Frame and it will flow over to the Red Frame if it is longer then 1 page. Add more frames using the same method as you wish.

Anyone interested with a copy of the document can give me a PM and I'll email it to you.

Good luck and have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: