OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OO file-save bloat (with MS Word formats)?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
EricMelech
General User
General User


Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: OO file-save bloat (with MS Word formats)? Reply with quote

I'm not too sure about this, but I downloaded a 1,163 KB MS Word 6.0 document, and when I saved it again (without changing it to OO format), it became 2,982 KB. It might be because it saved it with an updated Word format, but I don't recall ever being informed of OO doing this. For fun I saved the exact same file as RTF (same filesize: 2,982 KB). THEN when I saved it as OO Text format, it became 420. Heh heh, it seems that OO formats aren't very bloaty at all. Just another reason to use OpenOffice instead of one of Microsoft's overpriced, overvalued product Twisted Evil
_________________
OpenOffice - Because We Like Innovation!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate


Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 390
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: OO file-save bloat (with MS Word formats)? Reply with quote

It's possible that it had been compressed, there is apparently a freeware application called Packword that can compress a Word document with Word still being able to edit it without using external compression software - OOo by default saves it's own main file formats in a compressed form whereas MS Office (except for the Binder application which Microsoft has abandoned) don't.

In fact more recent versions of the Microsoft Office file formats tend to produce smaller files and usuallly RTF tends to produce larger files but is of course supported by far more applications. RTF was actually developed by Microsoft as a sort of rewrite of it's DOC format - RTF is a rather simpler format and no doubt easier to develop.

Did you actually look at the document size while it was downloading - the size given on the website could have been wrong either simply due to human error or because the file had been updated since being first posted and the size given hadn't been changed - then it's also important to compare like with like, in Windows 2 sets of file sizes get given one of which is the actual file size and the other of which is the amount of space that it is taking up on the disk (the latter is almost always larger than the former - it's obvious that unless you COULD have some ability to store it at different points in time or that bits of it were on different disks (which would be possible - although overall it would still be larger in totality on disk.) that it wouldn't be smaller on disk than it's actual file size.).

EricMelech wrote:
I'm not too sure about this, but I downloaded a 1,163 KB MS Word 6.0 document, and when I saved it again (without changing it to OO format), it became 2,982 KB. It might be because it saved it with an updated Word format, but I don't recall ever being informed of OO doing this. For fun I saved the exact same file as RTF (same filesize: 2,982 KB). THEN when I saved it as OO Text format, it became 420. Heh heh, it seems that OO formats aren't very bloaty at all. Just another reason to use OpenOffice instead of one of Microsoft's overpriced, overvalued product Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EricMelech
General User
General User


Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: OO file-save bloat (with MS Word formats)? Reply with quote

Michael A. Kearsley wrote:
It's possible that it had been compressed, there is apparently a freeware application called Packword that can compress a Word document with Word still being able to edit it without using external compression software - OOo by default saves it's own main file formats in a compressed form whereas MS Office (except for the Binder application which Microsoft has abandoned) don't.


Yet another oversight from the geniuses at Microsoft.

Michael A. Kearsley wrote:
In fact more recent versions of the Microsoft Office file formats tend to produce smaller files and usuallly RTF tends to produce larger files but is of course supported by far more applications. RTF was actually developed by Microsoft as a sort of rewrite of it's DOC format - RTF is a rather simpler format and no doubt easier to develop.


I've seen the code needed to make RTF files, though I thought the code looked rather messy:

Code:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial;}{\f1\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 Artistik;}{\f2\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 DooM;}{\f3\fscript\fprq2\fcharset0 Kristen ITC;}}
{\colortbl ;\red128\green0\blue128;}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1503;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 srthgdfalnh\b dahhfjk\cf1 hgkd\f1 dg\fs28 hjd\cf0 ghj\b0 S\fs20 DGSG\f2 dgjdgfs\fs44 fj\f3\fs20 dghkkksd\f0\par
}


Michael A. Kearsley wrote:
Did you actually look at the document size while it was downloading - the size given on the website could have been wrong either simply due to human error or because the file had been updated since being first posted and the size given hadn't been changed - then it's also important to compare like with like, in Windows 2 sets of file sizes get given one of which is the actual file size and the other of which is the amount of space that it is taking up on the disk (the latter is almost always larger than the former - it's obvious that unless you COULD have some ability to store it at different points in time or that bits of it were on different disks (which would be possible - although overall it would still be larger in totality on disk.) that it wouldn't be smaller on disk than it's actual file size.).


Yes, I looked at the actual file in Windows Explorer after downloading it and before saving it as OO format.
_________________
OpenOffice - Because We Like Innovation!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group