OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

how to hide the result of "sum=(..) when result is zero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helmerj
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: how to hide the result of "sum=(..) when result is zero Reply with quote

Hi!

I created a form in OO 1.1.2 (writer) that I plan to use as an order form. The form includes a small table in which the user of the form will enter the item to order, the amount to order and the price per unit. The resulting final price per item is calculated using the "sum=" function by multiplying the price with the number of items fields.

Only problem I have is, that the empty form since I did use the "sum=" function shows a "0.00" in all final price fields that have no price and amount (are not used so to speak...) since it no matter what calculates 0x0.00 is 0.00 for the empty fields.

So here is my question:

Can I make the showing of a result of "sum=" in a table conditional? I only what the result to show up if it is larger than 0. A bit of a cosmetic rather than a crucial thing but it definitely would be nice...

Any ideas?

Thanks Juergen
r_vinoya
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: how to hide the result of "sum=(..) when result is Reply with quote

helmerj wrote:
Hi!

I created a form in OO 1.1.2 (writer) that I plan to use as an order form. The form includes a small table in which the user of the form will enter the item to order, the amount to order and the price per unit. The resulting final price per item is calculated using the "sum=" function by multiplying the price with the number of items fields.

Only problem I have is, that the empty form since I did use the "sum=" function shows a "0.00" in all final price fields that have no price and amount (are not used so to speak...) since it no matter what calculates 0x0.00 is 0.00 for the empty fields.

So here is my question:

Can I make the showing of a result of "sum=" in a table conditional? I only what the result to show up if it is larger than 0. A bit of a cosmetic rather than a crucial thing but it definitely would be nice...

Any ideas?

Thanks Juergen

I know 2 ways to do this:
1) Using "If" statement
2) Using conditional formatting

the 2nd part needs more explanation so I would explain only the first part for the meantime.

Using "If" statement:
your formula should look like:
Code:
=if(sum(A1:A5)<=0;"";sum(A1:A5))

P.S. (Edited Post)
oops, the method I showed is for Calc...
I don't know yet how to do this in Writer...
helmerj
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: how to hide the result of "sum=(..) when result is Reply with quote

r_vinoya wrote:

I know 2 ways to do this:
1) Using "If" statement
2) Using conditional formatting

the 2nd part needs more explanation so I would explain only the first part for the meantime.

Using "If" statement:
your formula should look like:
Code:
=if(sum(A1:A5)<=0;"";sum(A1:A5))

P.S. (Edited Post)
oops, the method I showed is for Calc...
I don't know yet how to do this in Writer...

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestions. I wasn't aware of the first method and I only knew the one with the conditional formating. Unfortunatly both of them only work in calc. I have tried to adapt the if statement formula for writer but it always results in a faulty expression. I then thought of embedding a calc sheet in the writer document but then the persion using it has to double click first to activate the embedded sheet. That's also no improvement...

Juergen
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a number format like #,##0.00;-#,##0.00;# in the table cells for the sums.
helmerj
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:

Hi!

Thanks a lot, that did it!

Juergen
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:

It might be noticed that I don't usually knock Open Office suite, but when will they do some catchup, and why such inordinate effort to do something so commonly used? A long time back, when taking a course in programming, I had thought that it might not be too long before the wordprocessor/spreadsheetdatabase was in fact just one program. Certainly, tables have come a long way towards being fully functional spreadsheets. Corel allows the simple insertion of a very familiar form of the IF, and SUM statements [and many others.] I don't understand the need for comparatively awkward 'workarounds' in such common useage, and am reminded that I can drive 200 miles in reverse if I have to, but ..why?

David.
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
.... it might not be too long before the wordprocessor/spreadsheetdatabase was in fact just one program....
Back in the Dark Ages Ashton Tate had a programme called Framework , based on the prinicples of 'outlining'. In effect both text and spreadsheets were 'embedded' in an indexed structure.

You can do the same sort of thing with object embedding, but I agree with you, some sort of convergence between tables and spreadsheets would be interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: