OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Importing PDF-Documents in Writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Importing PDF-Documents in Writer Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

It's very easy to export a document in PDF. But, how (with which filter) do i import PDF-Documents?

Thks,
Roger
multifacet
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think you can import from PDF.

Generally I export PDF pages to tiff or like format then insert in OO page by page.

At some stage there appears to have been a way of scanning in multiple pages to OO write but I was not able to locate in recent verions and have since read in another thread that multiple page scanning into OO is a functionality no longer available which is a shame as it iwould be a very useful feature.
roger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: so, any possibilty to convert a pdf to another fileformat? Reply with quote

so, if it's not possible, how can i convert pdf's under linux to another fileformat eg rich-text? (no graphical formats...)

Roger
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: so, any possibilty to convert a pdf to another fileforma Reply with quote

roger wrote:
so, if it's not possible, how can i convert pdf's under linux to another fileformat eg rich-text? (no graphical formats...)

Ghostscript includes a script called ps2asc (I think) which will extract the text from a PDF file and put it into a text file. Alternatively, KOffice has a PDF import filter, and can save to OOo formats. The PDF import isn't brilliant, but I don't know of any other alternatives.

Russ
roger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: ps2asc Reply with quote

thx a lot, gonna try that Smile

Roger
m_yates

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIMP will allow you to open a pdf file and save it in whatever image format you like. As previously stated, recent versions of Kword have a pdf import filter. It doesn't work too well, but is pretty useful given the lack of alternatives.
helmerj
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: koffie has an import filter for pdf Reply with quote

Since you use linux I would suggest the pdf import filter that does exist for kword that comes with koffice. It will extract all the text and paste the image as png I think. On regular text it works quite well. It utterly fails on text that comes in columns and more complex documents but it is a great start for regular stuff. Otherwise you could tryto convert a pdf to html usinf pdf2html and then read the html files with OO.

Hope this helps...

J.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try the new experimental release of PDF Import for OpenOffice.org Draw 3.0.

Roger, sorry for taking four years to reply! Smile I hope you still enjoy OpenOffice.org. This is an old thread, but thought you or people searching the archives would still be interested.
* BleachBit
</signature>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: