OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Since years, developers cannot fix a simple problem with EPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krammer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Since years, developers cannot fix a simple problem with EPS Reply with quote

It is very difficult to import EPS formatted drawings, since the rendering facility invokes gs or convert, which work slowly as the user scrolls the odt document and there is need to render the inserted figure.

Scrolling up and down a ten page document with a ten EPS figures can take several minutes.

Since years, the developers cannot solve this problem. See, for example, discussion in

http://openoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=77068

The problem has several solutions, some really simple, but it looks like the developers just left the task to gs and convert and perhaps to other routines, and didn't bother about the usability. Similar to manufacturer of shirts from which buttons break and fall: "Oh, we don't manufacture buttons. We sew shirts."

Where does such mentality come from? Perhaps the developers never embed vector graphics drawings? Perhaps they don't use Openoffice? Or use it for simple letters only? They don't understand the need? They think that vector graphics is not needed, really, since every figure can be converted to png with high resolution, and imported? There are no knowledgeable developers? There is nobody to assign the task to? Is there a deeply hidden bug in the code? Have you ever tried to export to doc format a file with ten EPS figures? The doc file reaches such a size that MS Office cannot open it! What is the "Preview" button supposed to do when importing pictures - it has no effect?

Bad, bad work in this area. No pride for product, no thinking about users. (You can imagine what I think about Openoffice developers as I wait for my document to scroll a few pages, day after day.)

I will not be alive in the 22nd century, but I wonder how many forks will Openoffice have by then, and whether on some branch there will be a leaf that will understand how to work with vector graphics. How many computer science departments and graduates are needed for that? Evidently, the current hundreds and hundreds are not enough.
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you won't find the developers here only other users.
If, as you say, there are several simple solutions why not provide one?
OpenOffice and LibreOffice are open source and so anyone with a simple solution to a problem can become one the the developers you think do such a bad job. Show them how!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: