OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[issue] OO Won't Start - Error when Loading VCRT Library
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruler2112
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: [issue] OO Won't Start - Error when Loading VCRT Library Reply with quote

One of my users is having trouble with OpenOffice and I really don't know what else to try. The computer is a dual-core AMD running XP SP3 with 2 gig of RAM. She gets the following:

Code:

---Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library---

Runtime Error!

Program: c:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

OK

This messagebox comes up and the program immediately dies when you hit OK. It doesn't matter what component (writer, calc, draw, etc) you open or if you double-click on a document (OO or otherwise).

So far, I've tried reinstalling OpenOffice 3.2. I tried 3.1. I tried 3.3. I tried LibreOffice 3.4. I tried removing OpenOffice, deleting all directories remotely connected with OpenOffice, rebooting, and then installing fresh. I tried downloading and installing the M$ Visual C++ runtime for 2005, 2008, and 2010. (At least I think those were the years; I know I tried 3 different ones, rebooting between each.) I tried different version of JRE. After all this had no effect, I finally gave up and reinstalled windoze. Great – OpenOffice worked and opened without erroring out! The next day, she called me and the above error was popping up again and OO was inaccessible.

I've found references to this error online at M$, but don't understand most of it (I haven't coded for windoze in years – unix/linux is where I code). Plus, I know it's not a problem with the program itself, as the same exact thing works on other systems without any problems. I'm frankly out of ideas and at a loss of what to try at this point.

Any ideas as to what I could do to troubleshoot or fix the problem?

Tagged as issue - floris v, moderator

Last edited by Ruler2112 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Ruler2112
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any ideas?
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be related to not having a manifest file or about having one in the wrong place. Maybe you should use Revo uninstaller or another real uninstall program that completely removes software including all references in the Windows register and then install it again.
DiGro
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this make any sense to you ?? (I'm no techie so it is abacadabra for me)

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Mozilla2Seamonkey/Problem_Log/Windows wrote:
R6034 runtime error when trying to load the driver

problem

Trying to load the driver, there's a message box from the Microsoft runtime libs saying somehing like "An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly. ...".

cause

Since MSVC2005 (VC8), the Microsoft runtimes are managed assemblies, that is, libraries/applications using them need to have a manifest (embedded or besides the lib/exec), which describes which version of the runtime they use. mozabdrvmi.dll links to two libraries from Mozilla, namely xpcom_core.dll and nspr4.dll. The former already has a manifest embedded, the latter hasn't. This is because nspr4.dll is built in mozilla/nsprpub, and uses an own config/rules.mk file, which was not included in the above-mentioned manifest patch.

solution

use the same mechanism like in the above-mentioned patch, which already embeds the *.manifest file into all libs/execs build outside mozilla/nsprpub, to mozilla/nsprpub/config/rules.mk, too. This way, nspr4.dll is built with a manifest, too.

Committed as revision 265398.

It seems you're right and it has nothing to do with OOo, but with a missing manifest.

Windows 7 Home Premium and AOO 4.0.1 NL (Dutch)
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manifest file should come with OOo, so in a way it is a problem with OOo.
Ruler2112
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the Revo uninstaller - the net effect was same as running the regular installer, even after doing a thorough removal. After reinstalling, the same error appears when starting. Sad

The article about the manifest is what I was referring to when I said that I don't know what they're talking about. (And of course they give you absolutely nothing useful to troubleshoot/isolate/fix the problem in the M$ article - freakin M$ and their messed up way of doing things... can't just make things simple so they work. Evil or Very Mad )

It's curious to me that OO works on ~90 identical machines perfectly fine and this single PC has this problem with OO and no other issues with any other apps... Confused
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to Program Files, then type "manifest" in the search box and look for all instances of soffice.bin.manifest. There should be only one, and that should hide in Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Program. Any (other) copies are redundant and might give trouble. I can't think of anything else.
Ruler2112
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
Open Windows Explorer, navigate to Program Files, then type "manifest" in the search box and look for all instances of soffice.bin.manifest. There should be only one, and that should hide in Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Program. Any (other) copies are redundant and might give trouble. I can't think of anything else.

Just tried this and the only one was where it should be.

At least now I don't feel so bad - other people don't know what to do either. Shocked Wink
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Windows are you running? Windows 7, and do you have Internet Explorer 9? In that case, uninstall IE (that will install version Cool. Win 7 combined with IE 9 seems to stop OOo dead in its tracks.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off the Auto Update checker. This has been reported to cause crashes.
Ruler2112
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The machine is running Windoze XP SP3 with IE6.

How does one go about turning off the update check without being able to start OO?
floris_v

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reset your user profile. Click here for help how to do that. Maybe it helps.
Ruler2112
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the long delay - we had a server go down that was obviously much more important than one person not being able to open documents on her PC.

I tried resetting the user profile twice. Both times the directory was re-created and it didn't seem to have any effect on the error message.

Any other ideas or suggestions? I'm at a loss as to what to do even to continue troubleshooting at this point...
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try the new forum (see my sig for the link).
The user profile sometimes gets corrupted, and in that case it helps to rename it so that OOo will make a new one, then you can move over stuff from the old one to find out what was wrong. It solves a lot of problems, but not this one.
Ruler2112
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just discovered something VERY strange about this problem. (Still waiting on the activation e-mail from the other forum.)

The user whose machine this is uses a web chat program to answer inquiries from visitors to our web site. If that program is shut down, OO works fine. If it's running, the error above happens. (Nice process separation by windoze...)

I'm contacting the company which provides the web chat program, but honestly don't expect to get far. Anybody here have ideas for further troubleshooting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: