OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Extracting multiple records from a Calc database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panax9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Extracting multiple records from a Calc database Reply with quote

How do you extract from a Calc database, all records matching certain criteria? The only facility available appears to be the DGET function which will only extract a single record and gives an error signal if there is more than one matching record.
yogo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean a Calc spreadsheet? Not sure what you want to do, but to find all records matching certain criteria, you can apply a filter. Database functions such as DGET provide some useful calculation features but they're not meant to replace a database. DGET returning an error for multiple results seems pretty intuitive to me. It needs to populate that cell with data and there are no conventions for displaying two records in one cell.
panax9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Calc spreadsheet filters Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. I realize that you can't have more than one record in a cell, it's just that there didn't appear to be anything else available. Being a newbie to OOo I had overlooked "filters" as there is no such thing in the very old version of Excel that I am familiar with. I'll have a go at applying these "filters".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: