OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Interesting article: MS Word should be scrapped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richhill
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Interesting article: MS Word should be scrapped Reply with quote

I'm assuming this is the correct forum to post links to articles of potential interest to the OOo folks...

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/ZDM/MS_word_commentary_pcmag_040824.html

I post it because it is a mainstream news outlet (ABC news)
_Yiba_
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such frustrations are an everyday occurance for most M$ Office users....

Lucky for us there's this little thing called OOo...
mb02135
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting but also interesting that the author did not offer up any alternatives other than fixing Word. OOo has a long way to go to get into the mainstream corporate market and it has to compete on FUNCTION not price.

OOo Writer being better than Word will not make corporate users change when there is no equvalent to Outlook to do e-mail and scheduling and groupware. OOo is no where on groupware. Mozilla is excellent for e-mail but the calendar function is at the toy level (my opinion only).
richhill
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb02135: Do you think that a good calendar function can be built on top of existing OOo app - eg Calc? - as a plugin/addon
mb02135
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richhill wrote:
mb02135: Do you think that a good calendar function can be built on top of existing OOo app - eg Calc? - as a plugin/addon

It is not so much a calendar as it is groupware. I think it would be easier to make Mozilla the Outlook component. It has a calendar, address book and obviously e-mail. It just can't sync to Outlook or Palm or ACT or anything else besides iCal. If you can get infomation into iCal easier than one entry at a time, iCal works great for calendars that can be shared. The Mozilla address book already syncs with Palm so if they figure out how to do contacts, to dos and contact history they got a winner of a product.

Having said all that, I haven't a clue. I am a software user and would not know where to begin to develop anything. My comment is not criticism of the current product because I like it, I use it everyday in my consulting business. If I had a real job and worked in a corporate enviornment, I would be tethered to MSOffice.

I am on a non profit Board of Trustees and I am pushing them to get rid of Office 97 in favor of OOo but that missing Outlook component is an issue.
mb02135
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb02135 wrote:
richhill wrote:

It is not so much a calendar as it is groupware. I think it would be easier to make Mozilla the Outlook component. It has a calendar, address book and obviously e-mail. It just can't sync to Outlook or Palm or ACT or anything else besides iCal. If you can get infomation into iCal easier than one entry at a time, iCal works great for calendars that can be shared. The Mozilla address book already syncs with Palm so if they figure out how to do contacts, to dos and contact history they got a winner of a product.

Having said all that, I haven't a clue. I am a software user and would not know where to begin to develop anything. My comment is not criticism of the current product because I like it, I use it everyday in my consulting business. If I had a real job and worked in a corporate enviornment, I would be tethered to MSOffice.

I am on a non profit Board of Trustees and I am pushing them to get rid of Office 97 in favor of OOo but that missing Outlook component is an issue.

Next random thought is to ditch Windows and go with either MAC or Linux. There are options that may work for me as a solo consultant, but for a variety of reasons, cost in the case of MAC and fear of the unknown with Linux will keep companies from changing.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb02135 wrote:
Next random thought is to ditch Windows and go with either MAC or Linux. There are options that may work for me as a solo consultant, but for a variety of reasons, cost in the case of MAC and fear of the unknown with Linux will keep companies from changing.

If you dare to get your feet wet and do not mind spending a few sleepless nights trying to figure out how thing work in Linux, then welcome to the wonderful world of open source software. I am a solo advocate working in a SOHO environment with only 2 supoort staffs. OSS and in particular Linux and OOo have saved me at least about USD700 to USD800 (that is about twice my 2 staffs' monthly salary!). I have 2 modest celeron 2.0 PCs running things like MySQL and am trying to build my own webserver! Now try to emulate that with Windoze Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: