OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Removing hyperlinks in Calc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
userjoy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Removing hyperlinks in Calc Reply with quote

I'm entering URLs in cells in a spreadsheet. Sometimes (not always! you go figure...) Calc converts them to hyperlinks. I can't figure out how to get rid of the links.

The OO help said I should go to format and then click default formatting - but that changes all kinds of other things without removing the hyperlink.

Also can someone direct me to how to set up the defaults so that URLs I put in cells never come out as hyperlinks unless I directly change them to be linked?

Thanks!
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing hyperlinks in Calc Reply with quote

userjoy wrote:
Also can someone direct me to how to set up the defaults so that URLs I put in cells never come out as hyperlinks unless I directly change them to be linked?!

Try Tools|AutoCorrect Options...|Options then deselect "URL recognition".

Ken Johnson
userjoy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. It seems that URLs aren't coming in hyperlinked now - but email addresses are. There is no autocorrect option to turn off email recognition.

But it's not consistent - the emails I cut and pasted in earlier were not hyperlinked, but the one I just pasted in is hyperlinked. The URL I just pasted in isn't.

Changing the autocorrect option didn't get rid of the existing hyperlink, but when I deleted it and copied it in again, it did come in unlinked.
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is a ligitimate method, however, I had some cells formatted bold and with "www.ahyperlink.com" or "www.ahyperlink.org" as hyperlinks.
I selected the .com ones then used Find and Replace with .com in the "Search for" and "Replace with" text boxes. With "Current selection only" the only ticked option, after clicking the "Replace All" button the hyperlink was removed and the Bold formatting was unaffected.
The .org ones just required the same steps with .org in the "Search for" and Replace with" text boxes.

Ken Johnson
userjoy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipes, that's pretty complicated to have to do every time I copy in a URL! In Word you right click on the link, and choose "remove hyperlink" and it's gone.

Maybe someone else knows of an efficient way to do the equivalent in OO?
Jens S
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just select the hyperlinked cells and then use CTRL+M (default format) - this will not work on the latest LibreOffice.

Jens
userjoy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That changes the font, which I don't want to do. At the moment I've gotten rid of the hyperlinks by deleting the hyperlinked ones I'd copied in and then typing them (which is all right if it's short, but a problem when they are convoluted), so I can't check if that would get rid of hyperlinks.

I did try that yesterday (though following the pull-down menus, not using ctrl-m) before I retyped the URLs, and it didn't get rid of the hyperlinks.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Calc, Basic] Introspective cell functions function CELL_URL(sheet# ; row# ; col# ; [link#])
userjoy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh??? Do I have to know how to write code to get rid of hyperlinks in OO?

I thought the point of programs like spreadsheets & word processors is that we DON'T have to know how to program to use them!
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

userjoy wrote:
Yipes, that's pretty complicated to have to do every time I copy in a URL!

It wouldn't work on just one selected cell.
The idea is to it on a whole lot of cells at the end of a session.

Ken Johnson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: