OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Data merge into a writer document HOW?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeBarr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Data merge into a writer document HOW? Reply with quote

Going Nuts here First time trying to merge a doc with data.

I have a OOwriter document i want to use to create a mailable form (with data fields in it ) linked to a spreadsheet (preferably) or the database if nesc.

So far Ive labeled the spreadsheet as a data file and i have the form document open with the databases shown in a box above.

I have dragged fields down into the text document

Now How do I get it to merge to create a new file with all the data from the fields in the form ?
PLEASe help
Mike
boboof
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike... click on FILE>Print... and you should get a box that says... your document has address data fields... Do you want to print a form letter?.

Click Yes and you will get to a printer control box... if you need no further selection, you can just click Print all, and your merged document should print... you do have a choice of To Printer or To File. I'd suggest you print to file until you are sure it comes out the way you want.

If you need to select which data prints... look for the Funnel symbol at the top... this will give you a Filter box where you can select your data.

For further info, Google OpenOffice mail merge, and you should be led to instructions.

Bob
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want one record's data then you can select the record with the box to its left and then click the Data to Fields icon.
MikeBarr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Thank You It worked Reply with quote

I had tried to find this in the help sect to no avail.

thanks to you both!

Much appreciated
Mike
MikeBarr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: NExt Question- aving the form file withou loosing the links Reply with quote

Managed to do the merge but it was rough and needed tailoring.

When i re opend the form it had <D> <E> etc in place of the original fields names.

I re opend the data and picked the same file but it doesn't appear to link and when i try to print. - it just does a normal print without merging.

I did replace the <d> by dragging the fields down again but can't i save the file with the links in it so i don't have to drag and drop every time I re open it?

Thanks in advance
Mike
boboof
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can save the document. On the Files menu, go down to Templates, then Save and give the document a name you will recognize. Then save it.

When you want it again, go to Files>New>(at the bottom of the list)Templates. A box will open showing your templates; choose the one you want and it will open and be ready for another merge.

Again, I strongly suggest Google OOo Mail Merge... you will find a lot of links to useful information.

Bob
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this excellent article on mail merge http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/mail_merge_openoffice_org
MikeBarr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Great Article Thanks Reply with quote

this is an excellent article on merges i judge that OO should include this in their help dialogue,

I gotta say when i did this with Worperfect a few years ago it was easy and intuitive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: