OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How can I get windows speech recognition to work with OOWrit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: How can I get windows speech recognition to work with OOWrit Reply with quote

I have a dell PC running windows 7. I recently started using windows speech recognition to run the computer hands free. It works great with everything except I cannot get to work with open office. I have researched all over the Internet and all over this forum but cannot find a workable solution. To be honest, some of the responses to posters on this forum with the same question were somewhat dismissive, along the lines of " yes speech recognition technology doesn't work that well" or " Microsoft tries to sabotage non Microsoft products". But I don't think this is Microsoft's fault. The technology interfaces beautifully with other non Microsoft products that I use. Windows speech recognition will open Open office but then the program will not receive my dictation. Microsoft states that this is because open office uses different programming in its editor and for this reason open office is the one that needs to build a bridge between the two programs. I thought I might have come up with a solution when I saw that open office has a selection in the tool menu to check in order to support assistive technologies. When I checked it open office told me I would need to install java access bridge. I install java access bridge, but dictation in open office still did not work with speech recognition.

Giving up is not an option for me as I have crippling pain in my hands when I try to use a mouse for keyboard. All of my work to date is in open office. This means I cannot edit or modify anything I have currently created without first copying it into wordpad, then when I'm done copying it back into open office. This is clunky say the least. I like open office a lot. I believe in its mission,and I would like to continue using it. But I will have to abandon it I cannot get speech recognition to work. Please don't suggest Dragon Naturally speaking. For the same functionality that Windows Speech Recognition gives you for free, dragon asks $100-$500. I can't afford that. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ankhet
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't offer a better suggestion than to bring this up in the new forum (see my signature for the link) and maybe the user mailing list of Apache: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html#users_mailing_list where you can ask the developers about this.
Ankhet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Floris_v. I will check out those links. I will also check back here in case anyone down the road has any ideas. Be well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: