OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

zoom in on a predefined area of an image?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: zoom in on a predefined area of an image? Reply with quote

Hello there,

well, I was wondering if it's possible to have a large image on a certain slide of your presentation, and then make Impress zoom in on certain predefined areas of this image.
Let's say we have a 5000x3000px map of the United States on our first slide. The next step would be to only show Kansas, so I'd like Impress to zoom in on this ~500x250px area.
Normally, I'd have to create a separate screenshot for Kansas only. But if I do this for each of the 49 'core states' (I hope nobody objects to this term Wink ), I need to create and include 49 separate images, which is not very favorable. So I'd like Impress to keep the original image instead and enlarge the specified location of this image to full-screen size (maybe even with a nice visual zoom-effect?).
Is this possible or will I have to go the multiple-images version?
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple image version. Make sure, though, that you reduce the size of your 'big'image (the USA) as not to be overkill for the resolution of your screen. Hence, you should include a reduced image of the USA (say 500x250), then cropped images from the original representing the states (also 500x250) . If it all is scaled to correspond to screen resolution, there will be problem.
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, sad to hear this - but oh well, I guess it'll have to do (except if there's some other program that can do this; it doesn't have to be a PowerPoint or OOo Impress file after all, as long as it's suitable for presentation).
I'm still fantasizing about this this zoom effect though (like in the news, or pseudo-news from movies or games like Splinter Cell); a border is drawn around the area in question and then it's enlarged until it fills the screen - this probably requires some deft artistic skills though, I suppose!?
As for your concerns about the res overkill: That USA map was just an example I made up; it's actually about presenting the tree structure of an XML file, but that woulda been harder to illustrate... Smile

Anyways, thanks for the response!
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo also could use the edit window: work in full screen mode and use the zoom tools to zoom - unzoom. You can leave the zoom tools floating on the screen. If you lock the layer before your presentation, you wont inadvertently select and/or move objects. Actually, you may discover that this way of presenting your diagram is quite suitable Wink
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but this way, I always have to be present myself and can't just send the presenation via e-mail and let the other person check it out by himself.
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Your recipient can also look at it the same way. If he doesn't own Draw, you'll have to convert the file to another format anyway.
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure he can, but he will not know which areas I want him to check out more closely (since they're not pre-defined... ).
It's not really an important issue, it's just that it woulda looked pretty cool. Smile
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip: on a second layer that you always can hide, indicate with rectangles the areas that your recipient needs to study in detail. You can also add some help text on such a layer Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: