OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Suddenly Cannot Save Properly. Svaing in 'Unknown Format'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zawiah Saki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Suddenly Cannot Save Properly. Svaing in 'Unknown Format' Reply with quote

I am using WIndows XP. The last few documents that I saved appear as 'unknown file type' Icons. I can open them OK but only through the File drop down menu. They will not open by clicking on them. When I try to click on them I get an "Unknown Format" message. If I specify Open Office it will open it, but it will not allow me to specify 'always open this file format with this applcation" - the radio button is greyed out. If I try to save as a Word file it says "File already exists" - although it does not... the only file that exists is in an unknown format. I have tried lots of times and not got a conversion to work or indeed a proper save as a OO Writer file. This is crucial as now I cannot send any as email attachments. I have WordPerfect for Windows 6 and if I try pasting the text into that it just appears hopelessly corrupted. I can work with the files but the main problem is the handling of them and the saving as Word files. This is causing problems because I have not been able to email files to clients and I basically need to get this fixed before Monday!

Mad Not a happy bunny right now!

Any ideas?

Zoe
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zoe,

Just a suggestion, when you click on "Save as" it the box underneath file type (Automatic file name extension) checked? It should be. This has been the problem for other people in the past.

• For your existing file, can you add/change the extension to .sxw? This may solve the problem for those files. To do this you need to have Hide extensions for known file types unchecked. (Find this in Tools > Folder Options... > View tab).

I am ussuming that your account has administrator privileges, if not you may have difficulty with the above Sad

It sounds unusual that "always open this file format with this applcation" is greyed out. This could be to do with administrator privileges?

HTH Smile,
Zawiah Saki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Yes this seems to have done it! Weird though as I don't know why it suddenly started behaving in this way!

I had to do all three things, by the way! And as I have not made any changes in the past I am not sure how boxes came to be checked where they should have been unchecked and unchecked when they should have been checked - unless something like a system crash caused defaults to be reset?

Windows XP (or any version!) is not right popular with me right now! It is also working very slowly and creaking and groaning as it did so.... I daren't defrag until I am sure it won't do anything nasty to the Redhat Linux I have installed on dual boot (I've a suspicion it only recognises certain partitions - i.e. DOS or NT ones) so I shall be posting to the linux site soon... But thank you for helping me so quickly! I can send out the files I intended to later today!

Zoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: