OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

setup not offering modify

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finlay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: setup not offering modify Reply with quote

I am running OOo 101 on Mandrake 9.0 When I run setup the Modify option is blanked out. Can anyone explain how I get round this, please?

Finlay
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you looking to do?

The 'modify' option is probably blanked out because you're running the setup program as a user. User privileges don't allow program components to be installed/removed. Any user running the setup program will see the same thing.
finlay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to remove Math. I can understand your point since I installed OOo as part of the installation of mandrake. However, both the Repair and Uninstall options are available, which I would have thought wouldn't be if it was a root installation. Also there is no .openoffice folder in /root ( I notice though there's a perl program in /usr/bin called ooffice) I don't follow, but I'll happily uninstall and reinstall as user if necessary:-)
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repair and uninstall options will probably change your user installation, not the system installation. If it tries to change the system installation, there should be permission errors. And user /root probably doesn't have an .openoffice directory because you haven't launched openoffice while logged into X windows as root. It's automatically generated the first time OOo is run.

Not sure if these pre-installed versions of OOo can be customized in the same way that the original binaries from OOo can but you could try running the setup program as user root and see what happens. Find the system 'setup' executable for OOo and run that as root. Use the 'whereis' command if you have trouble finding it.
finlay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting. What I'm going to do is uninstall the programme and reinstall from binaries as user. FYI, running setup as root produces only the installation screen, not the screen for an already installed version. Thanks for your interest and help. I'm going to stop worrying about this now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: