OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Writer suddenly opening file read-only and I can't reset it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnTho
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Writer suddenly opening file read-only and I can't reset it Reply with quote

I have a .doc file originally created in Word 2000. After I had opened and edited this a few times in Writer it suddenly started opening it read-only. I have checked the permissions, I am the owner and have full control. I've also looked at the Properties and made sure the Read-only box is unchecked. It still opens for editing ok in Word.

This is not the first time this has happened with this file. The last time I only managed to fix it by using Word to save it in RTF format then deleting the original .doc, opening the RTF in Writer and re-saving as a .doc under the original name, then deleting the RTF. This worked ok for a while but now it's spontaneously gone read-only again.

The file is password-protected but I know I'm entering the password correctly because if I deliberately enter a wrong one it refuses to open at all. Anyway, Word still opens it ok with the password.

I'm at a loss to know what's going on here. Any insights would be gratefully received.

M.J.T.

Intel Core-i5 3.3MHz, 8GB RAM, 2 x 1TB WD10EARS drives, Asus Nvidia GT440 graphics, Windows 7 Proff. 64-bit SP1.
JohnTho
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumped, because a goon keeps spamming the forum, driving the genuine posters off-screen!!! Evil or Very Mad

M.J.T.

Intel Core-i5 3.3MHz, 8GB RAM, 2 x 1TB WD10EARS drives, Asus Nvidia GT440 graphics, Windows 7 Proff. 64-bit SP1.
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really best to save in OOo's own format, odt, and to save as doc when you have to send a file to somebody who doesn't have OOo.
JohnTho
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that Writer's native format is .odt, but since it is supposed to be capable of handling .doc files it shouldn't spontaneously start failing to open them for editing. It's not as if I've been editing this particular file with any other applications (at least not until I found I couldn't edit it with Writer).

The baffling thing is that it worked ok for a while, then suddenly started opening read-only but I can't find anything wrong with the file properties and I can't find any way to make Writer open it for editing.

M.J.T.

floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an option on the open file dialog box to open as read-only. Did you accidentally turn that on?
JohnTho
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that box is definitely unchecked.

I've now discovered that this is related to the password protection. I opened the file in Word 2000 and disabled the protection. It then opens ok in Writer. The same file saved from Writer as .odt with password opens again ok in Writer, so it looks as if Writer isn't able to handle the password properly in a .doc file.

M.J.T.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: