OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to write the derivative of a function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jusic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: How to write the derivative of a function Reply with quote

How do you write this correctly in the formula editor?
Code:
f'(x)

In LaTeX that would be something like:
Code:
\begin{equation}
  f^{\prime}(x)
\end{equation}

But in OOo \prime or %prime doesn't work, and IMO f '(x) doesn't look right. I searched the forum for "derivative" but I found nothing appropriate.
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizontal spacing in math is not pretty. Try this "hack":
Code:
f^{size*2{,}}(x)

looks slightly better than f'(x)...
jusic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Horizontal spacing ok, now problem is vertical spacing Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. But if you write e.g.:
Code:
{1} over {f^{size*2{,}}(x)}

Horizontal spacing is quite ok, but 2x sized comma messes up the vertical spacing Confused

Any suggestions to this? Smile
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Horizontal spacing ok, now problem is vertical spacing Reply with quote

jusic wrote:
Horizontal spacing is quite ok, but 2x sized comma messes up the vertical spacing Confused

Oops! Embarassed You are right...
less beautifull, but still better than f'(x):
Code:
f"'"(x)

That is: a " followed by a ' and followed by a ", without spaces This made de ' became "non italiced", with a better spacing as result.
manu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Prime trouble Reply with quote

Hi there

Am using Math since a few months and could get round most problems with formulas after playing or googling around. There is only that prime for which I haven't found a sufficient solution.
The hacks described above are ok as long as you do not deal with indexes.
In case the primed function has an index either prime or index are too far away from the symbol. Work around is to superscript a double sized , but this doesn't work if the derivative is in the index itself.
To my opinion, the prime should be a Math comand as is e.g. tilde hat bar ...
Is there any way to suggest this to the developers? Guess the modification needed is rather small.

Regards

Manuel
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to write the derivative of a function Reply with quote

jusic wrote:
How do you write this correctly in the formula editor?
Code:
f'(x)

In LaTeX that would be something like:
Code:
\begin{equation}
  f^{\prime}(x)
\end{equation}

But in OOo \prime or %prime doesn't work, and IMO f '(x) doesn't look right. I searched the forum for "derivative" but I found nothing appropriate.

OK, I 'm admittedly not familiar with the math editor since it reminds me of the thrashing around I did prior to using more advanced algebraic GUI systems. However, I do know that it is sometimes advantageous to combine both ordinary text and the resulting Math graphic insert. That is, can you not type f'(x) = Then go to the math editor to complete the statement, which will then be inserted as a graphic that can be moved to line up if not already there? I know I've done something similar in other word processors.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: