OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Irregular character spacing of text

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
temphandle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Irregular character spacing of text Reply with quote

Windows 7, OpenOffice 3.2.1

Entering a 14-point Ariel "Manhattan"results in peculiar spacing, both in the edit mode (at 100%) and on Slide Show. This happens for a Text object and for text entered into a shape (e.g rectangle).

For "Manhattan", the "h" has a fair amount of space on both sides, and the "tt" are touching each other.

I have tried checked/unchecked the kerning option in the context-menu for Character. Scaling is 100%.

This problem is visible at larger and smaller font sizes, but appears somewhat worse at smaller font sizes. Using other fonts (Tahoma, Verdana) results in similar problems, but with different characters being affected (e.g. with Tahoma the "n" is the letter with space on both sides).

For years I have been using StarOffice and earlier versions of OpenOffice and they exhibited this problem. I was hoping that OO 3 would have addressed this issue. Is it still unresolved?
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This has to do with the font design, most fonts use pair kerning.
I created a Impress document and saved it in ODP and PPT format, both has the same characteristics.
It's easy to check when you use a large font and draw a rectangle which fit between two characters, when you move this to two other characters you see only small differences.

Martin
temphandle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking a look at this issue. I've tried all sorts of things, like Expanded character spacing 0.1pt and such, but I can't get the text to display nicely. Kind of stuck right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: