OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problems Pasting Copied Data From A Web-Page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sektion8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Problems Pasting Copied Data From A Web-Page Reply with quote

Hey all,
Everytime i copy some selected text from a web-page and paste it into Writer it always makes the first page blank, starting the data on page 2. Problem is, no matter what i do i can't remove that 1st page.

If i put my cursor directly before the first character and press BACKSPACE it sometimes moves the cursor up one whole page, without deleting anything, other times it won't do anything. It shows a first blank page which i can't even get to. It just sits there blank & untouchable.

If i try to select exactly what i want out of this text, it does it bit by bit until i'm about 3/4 through, then it selects everything in the whole document from top to bottom, missing some various things in between. This is while keeping my finger planted on the left mouse button. If i move my mouse back again, it won't un-select the area - I have to try and re-select.

Now when i have nothing selected, the areas that i couldn't select a minute ago are now permanantly selected, i can't change it...?

And, the pasted data always runs off the edges of each page....?

Another thing, is there any plans to have it so Writer corrects bad decisions when you change your page margins outside the capabilities of your specific printer... I suggest this as MSOffice does, and i'm having trouble having to remember the exact limits of my printer when trying to get maximum print on a piece of paper.

Thanks in advance for any questions answered!
dvalade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem My wife does a lot of copying from documents and stuff off the web and it is driving her, and me, nuts! I can't figure anything out! Please let me know if you figure this one out?!?!
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't reproduce your problem. Could you give a link with the troublesome web page?.
In the meanwhile, if you are only interested in text, do Edit -> paste special -> unformatted text
dvalade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.carm.org/demo/equip.htm

on the left hand side go to 1.02 Bible - Inspiration and Inerrancy

this is just one that I know of for sure that give the titel on page one, leaves a huge gap, then the text and, gives a lot of beeps as I sroll down.

let me know.....
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see it now. I think the problem comes from the fact that the text in the web page is arranged in a table of two rows and one column (strange format, but is true: if you look your toolbar when the cursor is inside the text you pasted in writer, you see the table tools) and writer have a bug related with long tables: he can't split a cell in multiple pages. This seems to be fixed for the 2.0 version, but for now there is no solution. As I sayd before, I recommend you to paste your text as unformated text, or try to select only the text inside the cell, and not the cell itself.
Good luck
dvalade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the help!

When is 2.0 slated to be out? Or is it already and I haven't looked?

thanks again.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvalade wrote:
OK thanks for the help!

When is 2.0 slated to be out? Or is it already and I haven't looked?

thanks again.

You could try downloading 1.9m54. It's the current developer build, and contains most of what will be in 2.0. It's very stable, I'm using it every day without too many hassles.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: