OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can I change the default options for subscripts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lennyfield
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Can I change the default options for subscripts Reply with quote

I am working on some stuff (in Calc) that uses hundreds of subscripts and superscripts. In order to change the 'raise/lower by' and the 'relative font size' options I am doing it for each character that needs it. Is there a way to change the default values for the sheet, or for Calc in general, or perhaps for all of OO ?
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

At the Formatting Toolbar there are icons for Subscript and Superscript if they aren't visible go the the end of the toolbar and drop down the little triangle to select which icons should be visible.

Martin
lennyfield
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Can I change the default options for subscripts Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Martin, Yes I'd put the buttons on the toolbar and it would be nice if one click took care of things, but I find that the default 'raise/lower by' and 'relative font size' values (33% and 58%) exaggerate the raising and smallness. I want 20% and 72% respectively. Calc knows that this is what I really want because when I go into the dialogue and click the automatic box on and then off, it switches from the default values to my last used values. I would love to change the default values.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can change the values at the Paragraph Style in the Options tab.
If you change it for the Default Style all other styles will inherit these settings unless the are overwritten in an other style.
Set your view of the styles to Hierarchical to see which styles inherit these settings.

If you want to use these values permanently save it as your default template.

Martin
lennyfield
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm starting to feel very dumb. I can't find paragraph style under tools-options and I still can't find where to change the 'raise/lower by' or 'relative font size' values anywhere in the menu.

I have tried defining a style on the basis of the contents of a cell (formatted the way I want them) then manually selecting the range I'm using and selecting the defined style for the range, but it always jumps back to default (in the format - styles and formatting - hierarchical tab, my style appears subservient to default). I've also tried updating the default style on the basis of the selected entry, but nothing happens.

In Writer, when I redefine the values for the subscripts, they stay redefined until I change the definition, but that isn't happening in Calc.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You find it under Format --> Styles and Formatting it opens a window with five icons at the left top corner. If you move your mouse over it you see that the first one is for Paragraph Styles.
After you have selected the Paragraph Styles there is a pull down menu at the bottom where filter the different Styles. My personal preference is always to view Hierarchical as here you can see the dependencies.
When you Right click on the Default style and select Modify it opens a new window with eight tabs. The Options tab is where you can find the settings for super- and subscripts.
If you want to save this for future use you have to save your document as a template. After you have saved it select that template as your default.
Of course you should save a template without data in it, so the best is to create your settings on a empty document or copy your current document delete the content (from your copy) and use it for your template.

Martin
lennyfield
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thank-you very much for your efforts on this, but are we looking at the same version of OO? I've got 3.3.0 (9567).

In Writer, I can do just what you say. Right-clicking default-modify gives me 12 tabs of which one is position, and I can change the values there. So I definitely feel as though you're taking me closer.

In Calc, however, right-clicking default-modify gives me 8 tabs (organizer, numbers, font, font effects, alignment, borders, background, cell protection) but I can't find the position values anywhere.

If you think that these were present in a different version of OO, I'll install it.

If there is a way to extend the Writer option to Calc, that would also be very satisfactory.

Cheers and thanks again for the time you're giving this.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry, my answer was based on Writer, I need to read better.

Calc:
Open a new document and enter some text in a cell.
highlight part of the text and select Format --> Character open the Font Position tab and set your desired values.
Select File --> Templates and save it.
Select File --> Templates ... Organize and double click on the My Templates directory.
Select the template you just saved and at the Commands button select Set As Default Template
Next time you open a new spreadsheet it will use these settings for your super- and subscripts.

Martin
lennyfield
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is getting close now. What you said has worked perfectly for the values I get when I open a new spreadsheet and click format -> character -> subscript. The settings I've defined come up and I click OK without having to change the values.

That is still four clicks however because the settings don't work on the subscript command tab that I added to the formatting toolbar. When I press that to try and do things with one click, I still get the old values. I've tried uninstalling and re installing the buttons, closing and opening OO between-times, but to no avail.

If you have any further thoughts I'd be very grateful (even if it's to say that it can't be done). Thank-you for your all of your time and patience so far.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm out of ideas, you can log this as an Request for Enhancement.

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: