OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Database for customers, sales, packing slips, and invoices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westclean
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Database for customers, sales, packing slips, and invoices Reply with quote

First time posting so excuse me if I do not know the proper etiquette. I have had a lot of success switching my business away from windows based products to OOo, but have hit a wall with Base. The free help online I have found is either too basic or doesn't really apply to what I want to do. So I will give this a shot.

I have been working on this for a while and been going nowhere lately. I want to create a database of customers, sales, packing slips, and invoices. I am planning on having a form for customers which is very straight forward, just entering customer information. The only other form would be for sales. In this one I want to be able to search for the customer that purchased it, enter date ordered, date shipped, whether they will be invoiced or paying by credit card, the products ordered, product size, and quantity.

Then generate a packing slip and invoice (if they did not pay by credit card).

I also want to graph sales vs. time.

Any help on this would be great or an example.

Thanks!
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Database for customers, sales, packing slips, and invoic Reply with quote

Welcome westclean, and thank you for a very clear and concise description of your design issues.

westclean wrote:
...hit a wall with Base.

Not uncommon. Databases can be challenging, and Base forces you into SQL much more quickly than MS Access. But on the bright side, if you find SQL easier than macro programming (and you absolutely will with Base), then it can ease or eliminate macros in many cases.

Base Forms and Controls (List Boxes, etc.) are powerful, but the wizards can be misleading for anything more than a simple data-entry Form.

Creating a Sales Order form with customer selection, date entries, product selections, product specifics, quantities, pricing, discounts, totals, billing methods, invoice reports, and graphing are all possible, but involve advanced design techniques. For instance, the customer lookup will (normally) require a dedicated FILTER table. The product selections will (normally) require a Table Control (grid) with List Box columns. The product specifics, will be particularly advanced as this requires filtering 'cascading' List Box selections based on the selected product (List Box). The rest is trivial once you understand SubForms in Base, except perhaps the graphing which will require Calc integration.

Here's some links:
[Example #1] Filter/Search with Forms (leveraging SubForms)
[Example] OpenForm with macros
How to access SubForm linking mechanisms
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you simply get the relational SQL database of your choice, build up a valid database structure using the availlable mature tools for your database, connect Base to it and ask some concrete question about report and form design?
HSQLDB, H2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL, Access and many others are databases which can be used with this office suite. No, Base as such is NOT a database.
Billyray
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have had a lot of success switching my business away from windows based products to OOo, but have hit a wall with Base.

How were you managing your database on Windows?
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billyray wrote:
Quote:
I have had a lot of success switching my business away from windows based products to OOo, but have hit a wall with Base.

Must have been MS Access. Otherwise he could not be that clueless.
rgebap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: MS Reply with quote

Well that was a little harse, but true.
Billyray
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villeroy wrote:
Billyray wrote:
Quote:

Must have been MS Access. Otherwise he could not be that clueless.

oooh! Laughing

But seriously, A well developed database in Access would eliminate a lot of questions about Base. IOW, the database would already exist, along with all sorts of forms etc.

But the OP's questions make me think he doesn't have ANYTHING in use already, and that this is his first attempt.

Am I right westclean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: