OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Just inexplicably lost 70+ pages...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacabreMagpie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Just inexplicably lost 70+ pages... Reply with quote

I've been working on pasting and formatting a manuscript from an image-scanned PDF file (about 6-7 hours work). I got to Chapter 21 last night and finally finished it this morning. Then, when I went back up to insert a page at the start I noticed with slight horror that 'Chapter 21' - where I'd started from this morning - was now the first page and everything before it had vanished.

I figured maybe I'd made an error at some point so went to start hitting the Undo button but, literally the SECOND I thought this, the program inexplicably crashed! No error message or anything, it just vanished.

My initial thought was maybe I'd accidentally hit 'select all' before pasting at some point and erased everything but this isn't possible because I checked the earlier pages several times AFTER finishing Chapter 21 so, if I had done that then Chapter 21 wouldn't have been there. It literally just seems that everything I did prior today vanished at some point for, as far as I can see, no good (or recoverable-from) reason.

Has this happened to anyone else?
FallenAvatar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had that problem. I occasionally run into the problem of formulas not displaying properly with strange characters when my Calcs get big with lots of info moving around, but never had OOo just vanish.

But this just proves the old saying "Save, save, save" Save early, save often, save headaches. I save my work every few minutes and often have several version kept when developing a new Calc, Impress, or Base....and just save often to one file with the others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: