OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

LibreOffice (Solved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubina
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: LibreOffice (Solved) Reply with quote

I can't send odt file attachments by email (Hotmail). They don't open MSFT doesn't like them for some reason. I want to try LibreOffice. Have heard that LibrOffice converts to 2007doc files.

Tried to download and install LibreOffice. Something on my PC doesn't want to do that,

I see:

...a warning message box saying:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
LibreOffice 3.4 Installation Wizard
Please exit LibreOffice 3.5 and LibreOffice Quick Starter before you continue.
If you are using a multi-user system, also make sure that no other user has
LibreOffice 3.5 open.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
After clicking OK on the message box the installation returns to the
LibreOffice 3.4 Installation Wizard having the following text:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Installation Wizard Completed

The wizard was interrupted before LibreOffice 3.5 could be completely
installed.

Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time,
please run setup again.

I do not have LibreOffice 3.5 open or even installed on my PC. I then find evidence that the problem is in soffice.exe and soffice.bin...which are part of my current OO installation. I am advised to "remove" the soffice files uninstalling them at the control panel, but that would seem to entail uninstalling OO itself. I don't want to do that, at least not now.

Any ideas about installing LibreOffice while keeping OO?

Last edited by dubina on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install OOo and LibreOffice side by side - I have that and it works fine. But you need to close down any OOo processes when you install OOo or LibO and it's possible that the LibO installer mistakes OOo processes for LibO processes. I'm not sure that LibO will fare any better at sending mails - that really depends on what mail program you use. IIRC OOo nor LibO can work with Windows Live Mail.
dubina
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: @ floris_v Reply with quote

you said,

"But you need to close down any OOo processes when you install OOo or LibO and it's possible that the LibO installer mistakes OOo processes for LibO processes"

I am on a home network. I ran around and checked the computers to be sure no OOo stuff was open. Sure enough, I had files open on one machine, an iMac. I closed those files and OO and returned to my PC, expecting LibreOffice to install. It failed again. Same error message.

If you examine my original post, you will see that the install error message is not uncommon, although the various fixes for it are not always clear, and do not always fix. I am talking about the soffice.exe fix in particular.

Otherwise, is there a trick to closing down OO processes? Any way but sight checking to know if any OO processes are open? Any other solution, such as "removing" OO at the control panel?

I am stumped for now.
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Mac; In Windows you can open the Task Manager to monitor processes, services, users, etc., there must be something similar on the Mac.
dubina
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: @ floris_v Reply with quote

I looked in my PC - Task Manager and saw soffice.exe *32, soffice.bin *32 and swriter.exe *32 as active processes...even though I have no OO applications open. I gather soffice is Star Office and someone said Star has no utility in OO. That seems strange, if true.

The previous advice was to remove soffice exe and bin...no mention of swriter...by uninstalling through the control panel. What would happen if I ended those three processes though Task Manager? Could I seriously mess something up in OOo, or might ending in Task Manager be worth a try?

Furthermore, the error fix directs me to close OOo everywhere on the network, (I think). If I see soffice exe and bin...and swriter churning away as active processes on my PC...and end them through Task Manager, should I also go soffice hunting on the iMac?

Seems like a heck of a lot of trouble to install LibreOffice next to OOo.
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S is short for Star, yes. If you don't have any files open, terminating those processes won't do any harm. That they're running at all means that you probably have the quickstarter enabled or OOo was added to the list of programs that must be started when you start your computer. Maybe that's not a very good idea.

Last edited by floris_v on Sat May 05, 2012 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
dubina
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: @ floris_v Reply with quote

Thanks, floris_v

When I ended those processes in Task Manager, LibreOffice installed with no problem.

Now speaking of OOo, LibreOffice, Apple and Microsoft, I am considering the purchase of an iPad and I might get one if I can access computers on my wireless network by logging in via the iPad. I have heard of an application called LogMeIn, that is supposed to do that. There was one possibly related issue, as I recall, the Apple - MSFT email problem that did not allow email transfers of OOo documents, but what about this? If you have any experience with logmein or any similar application, that is, can I log in remotely to a PC and work on an odt document or an ods document through an iPad?

Thanks again.for helping me get past the LO install.

Should I mark this thread solved or something? Give you accolades?

Here, take a handful.
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.

I don't have any experience with smartphones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: