OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

CALC lost changes - a rant about OO/LO and Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSD4ME
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: CALC lost changes - a rant about OO/LO and Linux Reply with quote

Dear all,

I spent hours changing a CALC document this evening and exited after I had finished - and yes, I did do an EXIT and SAVE confirmation - I was paranoid at that point that I would lose the changes so I was extra careful

Going back in to the workbook later on - all the changes were gone.

I have done a search on this fault in Google and it seems to have been around for a while - several years in fact, and some threads have it marked as 'fixed'.

Oh no it isn't.

Surprised? Not really. I am getting a bit fed up with the number of holes/bugs/errors in OpenOffice/LibreOffice where things do not work.
Similarly, Linux - I switched to Ubuntu from Windows due to several issues but to give them their due, Windows stuff works every time without fail.
Ubuntu hangs on me (I have reported bugs on this as have other people but there are no solutions forthcoming) CALC has bugs in it that preclude me (and others as well, again) from doing things properly (eg saving) and overall, I am not THAT impressed with the changes that Linux developers make to the system.

DOes anyone know if my 'save' problem really HAS been fixed or is someone guessing.
Back to retyping hours of work
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of OOo? Look in the user profile for a backup copy filename.bak
GSD4ME
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version is 3.4.4 Build 402

Have looked in directory but file is not there - I have edited it again since my posting to re-enter all the data that I lost so it may well have been over-written and then deleted anyway in the backup folder

Still - have managed to resurrect the file edits that I did from my brain and am back to square 1 again.
It is simply annoying though - the dog is staying out of reach for the time being!!!!
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the future go to Tools-->Options-->Load/Save--->General and check "Always Create Backup Copy". This will save a backup copy of your file in the user profile each time you save it.
GSD4ME
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks - done that now.

Dog is now speaking to me!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: