OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Spell checking ceased to function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmn150
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Spell checking ceased to function Reply with quote

Somewhere along the line, spell checking ceased functioning. It may be when I changed from GoOO to Libre Office, or upgraded to LibreOffice 3.5.2.2. I did everything suggested in the help files regarding spell checking, but nothing happens. If I place obviously misspelled words in a document, they are not marked by automatic spell checking, and not caught when scanning the whole document. How do I fix this?

Using LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Windows 7
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16512
dmn150
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Thomas. The link you posted helped me discover that I needed to download and install the English dictionary.

After installing it through the extension manager, Writer crashes every time I open it. It seems functional for about 30 seconds and then it crashes. When I open Writer again, it successfully recovers the file I was working on. Now how do I fix this?
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try resetting the user profile http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
dmn150
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reset the profile, per the links provided. Since I had upgraded from GoOO to LibreOffice a couple months ago, I still had a profile for OpenOffice (even though it was no longer functional), but making changes there made no difference for the performance of LibreOffice. When I renamed the LibreOffice profile folder to "user_old" then it quit crashing. (I also deleted the "OpenOffice" profile).

Now a new problem shows up. I open a document that has proper nouns that I want added to the dictionary. During spell check I click "add" when the words are flagged, and they are no longer marked, and spell check seems to work normally. The problem is, when I open the document again, the same proper nouns are marked as misspelled. Somehow they are not really being added to the dictionary, or the program cannot find the added words when it opens anew.
dmn150
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashes have continued. Seemingly related to using spell-check.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try uninstalling IE9, it will be replaced with IE8. If this doesn't work then use Revo Free Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html to remove the installation and then re-install.
dmn150
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:
Try uninstalling IE9, it will be replaced with IE8. If this doesn't work then use Revo Free Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html to remove the installation and then re-install.

What does IE9 or IE8 have to do with it? I do have IE9 installed, but I wasn't using it while using LibreOffice.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks have reported crashes that are caused by IE9. You don't' have to be using it for a crash to occur. Also try temporarily disabling your AV and/or firewall software.
dmn150
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the following instructions in the LibreOffice release notes
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/
Quote:
For Windows users that have LibreOffice prior to version 3.4.5 installed, either uninstall that beforehand, or upgrade to 3.4.5. Otherwise, the upgrade to 3.5.2 may fail.

For Windows users that have OpenOffice.org installed, we advise uninstalling that beforehand, because it registers the same file type associations.

I don't remember if I did all of this in the right order when I upgraded from OpenOffice.org to LibreOffice, so I uninstalled LibreOffice and reinstalled it, and the crashes have ceased.

Spell check works, but it still marks the words I have added to the dictionary until I again indicate that one of them should be added to the dictionary. After that everything works properly; none of my added words are marked. Maybe this is a bug of this version (LibreOffice 3.5.2.2)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: