OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Data storage of graph co-ordinates in base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathstevenson

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Data storage of graph co-ordinates in base Reply with quote

Hello

I have a fully functional database which stores information about gases, I have a graphical representation of the gases IR spectrum in a jpeg and a set of data points (X and y co-ordinates) in a spreadsheet. I want to store the data points within the database and if possible (I know its a long shot) use the database to create a graph from data points.

I am looking for some advice (even if its someone laughing saying I can't do it) on how this might be achieved. I know this is a long shot but my boss wants me to try

Thanks Nathan
UmTheMuse
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, this is like the opposite problem of a lot people: you're trying to get Base to do something that was made for Calc when so many people (myself included) try to shoe-horn a database into a spreadsheet.

Anyway, can you get the information into Calc? Copy and paste if you have to. Highlight the data, then hit the Chart button. Choose XY Scatter and choose lines without points.
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Quote:
I want to store the data points within the database and if possible (I know its a long shot) use the database to create a graph from data points.
When you have data then it is not difficult to move the data from one place to the other place. The best place to store data when you use OOo is a database. When you have the data in a database then it is easy to use the data in a spreadsheet and then make a chart. As far I know you can not do it in one step but two or three steps look me not to much.

Drag the data in in your spreadsheet and make a chart. Automatic there is made a datarange.

Romke
nathstevenson

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the data in calc and I can make a graph easily as you say but the problem is is that my boss wants a way of looking at a record in the database and the graph(s) to appear with it

More importantly he wants to be able to search for two records and the graphs of those two records to be drawn on the same axis, now I know I can do this manually on calc but I am wondering if anyone knows how to do this automatically through base?
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

When you have all the data now in a spreadsheet then start using the spreadsheet as a database. As far I know you can not pull data out of a database and make graph. The only thing you can select data out of a database and put this in a datarange. This step can be done fast. Before you can do this fast you have to learn some steps. When you have learned this for a database based on a spreadsheet you can also use it for more complicated databases. I think it is good to have a copy of the spreadsheet before you do this.

How
Do not change the spreadsheet
Make a new databasedocument and bind this to the spreadsheet.

Learn using Queries
When you have the database then learn using queries. With queries you can select data. You can select rows and or fields. The next step is learn using parameters in the query.

Example for selecting for a year.
Select * from "data" where "Year"= 2006

Example for selecting for a year what every time must given when the query will be runned.
Select * from "data" where "Year"= :Tell_me_which_year

Press F1 when you make a query and read the help file about queries. You can make a parameter in the querie when you start typing with : and then a name for the value you want have. When have done this then you will be ask for a value when the querie is runned.

Learn first to make a good query for the data you want have.

See this is the first step about what you want

Romke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: