OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

"Different first page" header collapsing (screen s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miden6

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: "Different first page" header collapsing (screen s Reply with quote

I'm working on a novel with many chapters, imported from Word 2003 to Writer. The opening page of each chapter shouldn't have a header and these were removed in Word.

Here's a screen shot of what's happening: http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii622/miden6/?action=view&current=header_problems.jpg

Each of these section "first pages", however, collapses the header down onto the body of the text, leaving no margin between them (in my screen shot, compare where the top of the header on the left is vs. the right, where my name is).

As a result, the footer is pulled "up," so that the page number of each chapter opening is a few lines higher than its neighbors. Obviously ugly and not going to cut it.

What can I do to simply restore the header position while keeping the header itself empty? Any constructive advice appreciated. Thanks!
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enable header and footer but don't enter any text in it. Also see Tutorial on Page styles and headers/footers.

If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
miden6

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Floris = Thanks for replying.

Headers are both enabled and empty, as per the screen shot. The problem is that the bottom of the header is right up against the text box.

I'm trying to figure out how to replace the space between the header "box" and the text "box," which would return the entire page's line spacing to normal. I'm looking at the Tutorial, but not seeing a relevant answer for my problem.

The equivalent request in Word would be to keep the vertical header spacing, but signify "first page different" and manually delete the header from that page only.
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better to upload a sample file instead of a screenshot. Are you sure that for both page styles, the margins are the same? Are you sure that the conversion from Word didn't leave any problems? Start a blank document and copy the entire text of your document to that and see if that improves things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: