OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[solved]Can't Import Calc sheet to Base table

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
timinak
General User
General User


Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Location: Palmer Alaska

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: [solved]Can't Import Calc sheet to Base table Reply with quote

Using OO 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.04.
I've created a new databse.
From the main window, I have selected the Tables pane.
I have a Calc file that was created from a dBase table.
With the Calc spreadsheet open, I pick Edit->Select All and with the Tables pane selected on the Base window,
I then drag the selected area from the spreadsheet onto the table pane in the new database.
The "Copy Table" Wizard starts.
I select "Definition and Data"
I check "Use First line as column names"
I check "Create Primary Key"
with "ID" as the default key name, then choose "next"
In the "Apply Columns" window, I select all of the fields.
Choosing "next", I am in the "Type Formatting" window.
The "ID" field is selected, I confirm that it is an integer and inspect all
other columns which all appear to the Text[VARCHAR].
Automatic Type Recognition is left as the default.
I then click on "Create"
AND the entire process freezes. No error message, no progress bar. Nothing!
===============================================================
I have done a similar project on my mac with OO 3.3.
What Am I doing wrong here?
thanks
tim Question
_________________
Programmer 24 years. Linux, Mac
command-line. New to OO


Last edited by timinak on Fri May 04, 2012 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dacm
Super User
Super User


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 769

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely a data-definition issue.
Run the steps first with only 'Definition' selected.
Then if successful...
Run again with 'Append data' selected.
Then if not successful with 'Append data,' begin selecting smaller and smaller cell ranges in Calc until the offending row/field is identified. Perhaps be more specific than 'Select All.' Click the lower right corner of the data in the spreadsheet, and then Ctrl-Click the upper left corner to be more precise. If a single row won't export, then report back here with the details.
_________________
Soli Deo gloria
Tutorial: avoiding data loss with Base + Splitting 'Embedded databases'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timinak
General User
General User


Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Location: Palmer Alaska

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really good tips. Essentially a basic trouble-shooting procedure. I'm not sure
that data definition was the problem tho, since it worked in OO3.3 on the Mac, but another difference between the two machines is that the mac has 8 GB Ram and the linux box only
(only!) 3 GB Ram. The data had originally come from MS Outlook via a CVS file, so I reloaded the original CVS as a DBF and then deleted every column which didn't have data.
(MS had given me dozens if not a hundred). Once I had done that I got my import working.

Smile Thanks again. I'll be back!
_________________
Programmer 24 years. Linux, Mac
command-line. New to OO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group