OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice Base "Read-Only"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtomas

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice Base "Read-Only" Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently made a database in OpenOffice and saved it in a shared folder so my boss and I can both access it.

I have been able to open it correctly when accessed from 2 different MacBooks, but when my boss opens the database on a PC, it is a read-only file and I can't edit it or enter new data.

Any ideas as to the problem or more importantly, how to fix it?

Thanks!
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're sharing an all-in-one file, "embedded database" simultaneously...

Concurrent read/write access to an "embedded database" is extremely dangerous. This practice will eventually crash Base and might corrupt your database in the process. Evidently, the Mac's are ignoring the file locks (if you're opening the file concurrently/collaboratively). This may be a temporary glitch with the Mac's but it's not a good "feature" in any case.

Only the first computer to open the "embedded database" file should have read-write access. The operating system of the computer hosting the shared file should then lock the file for read-only access -- for as long as the file is open in the first client computer. So all other (later connected) concurrent users should get read-only access as they encounter the file lock. Now if the user with read-write access closes the file, the read-only clients will likely experience a Base crash.

Even trying to orchestrate single-user access while sharing an "embedded database" among multiple users can backfire since the Quickstarter tray app maintains file handles in some cases (glitch) after shutting down Base, especially if other AOO/OOo/LO components (Writer, etc.) are still open.

See my signature links for instructions on setting-up Base+HSQLDB in multi-user environments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: