OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[SOLVED] AutoFormat wizard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UmTheMuse
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] AutoFormat wizard Reply with quote

I've come across something that seems to be a bug, but I thought it best to ask about it instead of reporting it.

Under Format, there's an option called AutoFormat. It's got a bunch of spiffy formats that I really enjoyed using, the one time that I could. Unfortunately, after I applied a format a couple of times, AutoFormat refuses to work. The option in the menu is always grayed out now.

Does anybody know what I did wrong or can back me up here?

Last edited by UmTheMuse on Thu May 10, 2012 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
ozzie
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For autoformat option to be available a minimum range of 4x4 cells must be highlighted.
Is this the problem?
UmTheMuse
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's probably it. My information was two columns wide and far more than eight rows deep. I figured that it would pass the minimum threshold without any problem, but if it has to be that wide as well, that would explain it.

I wonder why it's implemented that way? I mean, aren't they basically patterns based on conditional formatting? I thought I remembered seeing a way to save your own patterns. Would they have the same restriction?
ozzie
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auto format is related to making nice looking tables and a 5x3 is ok.
But for 2 rows or columns it doesn't seem to be available at all no matter how far into the wild blue yonder you want to go.
At least on my testing!
Cheers
UmTheMuse
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. Are you sure about the 5x3 being ok? I thought I tried that out. Anyway, it's not all that great, because it turns out that it doesn't use styles. I mean that they're implemented like they're manually adjusted styles and you can't update all of your tables at once. Kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Also, most of the styles assume that your tables have a certain look to them--most assume that you want subtotals along the right and bottom. That's probably why they insist on 4x4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: