OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] StartCenter unwanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrFred

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: [Solved] StartCenter unwanted Reply with quote

I would like to open OpenOffice directly into Writer, without having to use the command line. I have been unable, after searching the forums and Help, to find out how to bypass the StartCenter, and suspect it must be possible to do this. I suspect that I've missed something. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Tagged as solved - floris v, moderator
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a shortcut to Writer on your desktop. The swriter.exe is in the program folder of the install folder.
Please remove the url from your profile, we consider it as spam, I was tempted to delete your post on that account, but you did ask a legitimate question.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
DrFred

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bashware . . .

I've removed the URL from my profile, which was merely to my blog that I thought might be interesting to some folks. Thanks for not trashing my question.

I should have mentioned in my query that I'm onMac OS X 10.6, but I could still follow the suggestion via the Mac desktop. But I've found a way that is more "elegant" for me, which is to create an alias in Terminal, thus:

alias OO='/Applications/OpenOffice.org.app --args -writer'

then load it in the profile for the shell; then invoke it, and make a trigger for it, using Quicksilver. I wrote the question in the forum after haggling within the Help and forums for a few hours, out of frustration, then figured out the way I've just mentioned.

Thank you for such a rapid response.

FW
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for posting your solution, many people don't bother to do that. Much appreciated.
On this forum the signature is really intended to contain information about the OOo version and operation system you use so that the volunteers who try to help don't have to ask for that often necessary information. Most new members who put a web link in their profile are spammers, and I have to delete a dozen or more spam messages every day, and I'm not sure about how many spam messages the other moderators delete. Shocked We can't even start checking all web links in signatures, it's much safer and more efficient to assume that they're spam, and delete the messages. End rant.
DrFred

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the "ground rules" education. I've updated my profile to include the OO version and my OS. All the best . . .
DrFred

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrFred wrote:
Thanks for the "ground rules" education. I've updated my profile to include the OO version and my OS. All the best . . .

Let me enlarge the Terminal alias that I've used, converting it to a Quicksilver trigger:

alias OO=open -a /Applications/OpenOffice.org.app --args -writer && killall Terminal

This addition closes the Terminal program and brings the focus to the freshly opened OpenOffice session.

Caveat: the "killall Terminal" command at the end of the alias closes Terminal and all tabs that had been running in it, so use with caution, only when Terminal is closed already or it may be open but there's nothing happening in it.

FW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: