OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Computer Algebra System.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjaer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Computer Algebra System. Reply with quote

This is a feature request.
I think it would be nice to have access to a computer algebra system. I've noticed the functions in the spreadsheet and they would be nice to have access to in the math formula thingy. Well what I miss the most is a solve function. At the moment I use maxima and latex. But that is a lot of copy/pasting back and forth, which would be obsolete with an integrated CAS.
I've thought about just making a python frontend with python-uno and let it access maxima some way or another but haven't got very far with that project. I would however like some comments on my idea. Suggestions and help are welcome too.
9point9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A solver function has been created as part of the Google Summer of Code program. This will be implemented sometime after 2.0.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
kjaer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Great Reply with quote

Well, that is just great. Any info upon this project ?
suryad
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that would be quite awesome if it does get integrated after the final release of 2.0. More info would be appreciated.
twarren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Computer Algebra System. Reply with quote

kjaer wrote:
This is a feature request.
I think it would be nice to have access to a computer algebra system. I've noticed the functions in the spreadsheet and they would be nice to have access to in the math formula thingy. Well what I miss the most is a solve function. At the moment I use maxima and latex. But that is a lot of copy/pasting back and forth, which would be obsolete with an integrated CAS.
I've thought about just making a python frontend with python-uno and let it access maxima some way or another but haven't got very far with that project. I would however like some comments on my idea. Suggestions and help are welcome too.

Students should try this online CAS:

http://www.vroomlab.com/nhome

click on calculator image to access. no download/install needed. works on iPad, smartphne too.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that the last post in this thread was over 5 years ago, and the original poster hasn't shown any interest in this thread or even any interest in this forum at all since September 2005.
Piter_
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so was it implemented?
nkm12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think it would be nice to have access to a computer algebra system. I've noticed the functions in the spreadsheet and they would be nice to have access to in the math formula thingy. Well what I miss the most is a solve function. At the moment I use maxima and latex. But that is a lot of copy/pasting back and forth, which would be obsolete with an integrated CAS.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkm12 wrote:
think it would be nice to have access to a computer algebra system. I've noticed the functions in the spreadsheet and they would be nice to have access to in the math formula thingy. Well what I miss the most is a solve function. At the moment I use maxima and latex. But that is a lot of copy/pasting back and forth, which would be obsolete with an integrated CAS.

A complete CAS must be a large program, and is only needed by a small number of office users. For these reasons it is not really appropriate to bundle such a product into a mainstream office suite.
cdeval
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkm12 wrote:
think it would be nice to have access to a computer algebra system.

I wrote one for Calc and Writer. It's an extension written in C++ for LibO / AOO.
Available here : http://cdeval.free.fr/spip.php?article132 (In french but you can translate them with the google link)
Alicelewis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here i also want to share something tha, I also use maxima and latex. But that is a lot of copy/pasting back and forth, which would be obsolete with an integrated CAS.
I've thought about just making a python frontend with python-uno and let it access maxima some way or another but haven't got very far with that project. I would however like some comments on my idea. For some suggestion, I shall be grateful...
EdwardFlournoy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the link .. yes it is in French and i am translating it into English (USA) .. thanx !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: