OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

recovering corrupted .odt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JFergus

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: recovering corrupted .odt Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I was using Writer (had a file open) when my computer when into hybernation and subsequently wouldn't 'wake up'. I had to force a shutdown. After restarting, I tried to open my file, and it came up with ASCII filter options, and after clicking 'ok' it tells me that the file is open by an 'Unknown User', and so I'm forced to open it either read-only or as a copy. Either way I choose, I end up with a file that is nothing but a string of '####'. The string of ### covers the same number of pages that the original document contained.
I've tried SyTools Open Office Recover; I've tried making a copy. I've tried as many tricks as I can think of... and I'm stumped.
The file composed a week worth of research that'll be very difficult and time consuming to redo, so I'm hopeful one of you can help me out here.

Let me know if any of you have any ideas.
Thanks.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

####### means your file is not recoverable. See if there is backup copy in the user profile http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426 named filename .bak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: