OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OO hangs on Save As when network drive not connected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattrick00

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: OO hangs on Save As when network drive not connected Reply with quote

I have OO 3.3 installed locally on my Mac laptop. Sometimes, I connect wirelessly to an external hard drive connected to my Mac Mini. Whenever I use OO without connecting to the external hard drive, OO hangs when using the Save As dialog box--even if I'm just trying to save to my desktop or to another local folder. The only thing I have tried so far is to ensure that all of my Paths in the Preferences are pointed locally, which they are. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Matt

Using:
OO 3.3
MacOS 10.7.4 (laptop)
MacOS 10.6.8 (MacMini)
davea0511
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not the answer you're looking for but ...

The preferred way to save files externally is always save locally and then use automated syncing or backup software to save the file copy elsewhere. I've tried what you're doing with other softwares than OO and had similar problems. OO is not the only software that hangs when you save to a dubious device. It's just not a good way of doing things. Even cloud apps store everything local to the cloud server.

The other thing you might want to consider is configure your laptop as a server, so you don't need to have it on your external drive because you'll be able to access to the laptop file from anywhere. Then there are solutions like goToMyPC as a popular solution for example but there are many that are similar.
mattrick00

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I am trying to save my files locally. However, as soon as the Save As dialog box opens, OO freezes, before I even get to choose a local destination. It only allows me to proceed if I connect to my external drive over the network. The only other app I've ever had this issue with is (perhaps not surprisingly) LibreOffice.

Thanks,
Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: