OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to open text file in OpenOffice Write and keep format?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netbeansfan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: How to open text file in OpenOffice Write and keep format? Reply with quote

Smile Hi All,

I would like to find out how to get OpenOffice Writer to carry out the following tasks from a Windows XP command prompt:

( i ) open up a ASCII file generated from Java application, say C:\Temp\ABC.TXT without prompting to accept Character set (language, font,
estern Europe(Windows-1252/WinLatin 1), Dedault fonts (Times New Roman), Language (English Australia), Paragraph break (LF).

Below is the command used to achieve this task:

"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe" "c:\Temp\ABC.TXT"

( ii ) Why is the alignment of this file in general especially towards the end of each line are no longer intact after opening up in OpenOffice?

Correct format in Wordpad of this text file
Code:
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------++
¦Schedule |Description                                             |   Full   ¦¦
¦---------|--------------------------------------------------------|--------- ¦¦
¦TOTAL    |                                                        |  58.05   ¦¦
¦---------|--------------------------------------------------------|--------- ¦¦
¦12345    |Potasium                                                |  50.05   ¦¦
¦34256    |PEI COLLECTION CENTRE                                   |   8.00   ¦¦
¦---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ¦¦
¦TEST BILLING  - Patient: Marry Jones                                         ¦¦
¦ Request: 11             Collection Centre: CCC  -C-CAYLAX COLLECTION CENTR  ¦¦
¦  Doctor: CATT  -DR COMPUTER TESTING, ADDRESS  70  Years   Service: 04/05/12 ¦¦
¦                                       A/c: C   - OTHER COMPENSABLE          ¦¦
¦  Panels:                                                                 [N]¦¦
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------++

Wrong format after opening up in OpenOffice but couldn't show

Code:
¦Schedule |Description                                             |   Full   ¦¦
¦TOTAL    |                                                        |  58.05   ¦¦
¦12345    |Potassium                                                  |   50.05   ¦¦
¦34256    |PEI COLLECTION CENTRE                                   |   8.00   ¦¦
¦---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ¦¦
¦TEST BILLING  - Patient: Marry Jones                                      ¦¦
¦ Request: 11             Collection Centre: CCC  -C-CAYLAX COLLECTION CENTR ¦¦
¦  Doctor: CATT  -DR COMPUTER TESTING, ADDRESS  70  Years   Service: 04/05/12 ¦¦
¦                                       A/c: C   - OTHER COMPENSABLE          ¦¦
¦  Panels:                                                                 [N]¦¦

( ii ) How to print c:\Temp\ABC.TXT using OpenOffice format without having to open it first possibly using soffice.exe -write -p c:\Temp\ABC.TXT .....

The purpose is to automate these tasks especially ( ii ) so that it is possible to run step ( ii ) without having to do ( i ).

I have looked up reference materials including startup switches but could not find any direct answer to this question.

Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack
Code:
Code:
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a wild guess but is there any chance your fonts are changing between notepad and OOo?
DVezina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i) I also noticed that in the first example you have "Potasium" and in the second example you have "Potassium". Make sure you have all the AutoCorrect options turned off.

ii) You don't need to open the file first to print.

Code:
soffice.exe -p C:\Temp\Document.txt

If you find you need to open in OO and perform further processing on the file,
you can call an OpenOffice Basic macro from the command line. Something like:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\swriter.exe" macro:///Standard.AddOnUtils.processFile("%1")

Where %1 is your file name.

Your macro can then open the file with Hidden property set to true, perform desired processing (perhaps convert it to a real table & format it), print and close.
netbeansfan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: How to open text file in OpenOffice Write and keep format? Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for the responses from both jrkrideau and DVezina. Looks like your suggestion is close to what I am after.

The mis-alignment issue has been resolved by providing the following settings when prompted while opening C:\TEMP\ABC.txt:

Code:
Western Europe(Windows-1252/WinLatin 1), Dedault fonts (Courier New), Language 
    (English Australia), Paragraph break (CR&LF).

Nevertheless, I am looking for a similar command line to the above suggested codes to pass OO Writer those 4 opening settings without having (possibly in a macro) to open C:\TEMP\ABC.txt before printing to a nominated / default printer. Any idea on how this could be achieved?

Any examples would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jack
DVezina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the name of the file you are trying to open really ABC.txt?

I ask because when I try to open files with .txt extension on my PC, OpenOffice doesn't ask me for those ascii filter options. I only get prompted for that info with files that have no extension or extensions that OO doesn't consider ASCII.

I notice that you have your operating system listed as Ubuntu. That could be the difference. You could probably mess with the linux "/etc/magic" file to define the file type.

If none of that works, then I think the option left is to not open with OO directly but call OO with a macro to open it for you with these settings. Let me know if you need help with that.

DVezina
DVezina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I see it is not you using Ubuntu but jrkrideau
netbeansfan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: How to open text file in OpenOffice Write and keep format? Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi DVezina,

Thank you for your persistence in helping out in getting the OO Writer automation to work.

First of all, I am running Windows XP & 7. Secondly, the same ASCII filter option still took place even when opening up the actual filename (C:\Temp\JavaOutput.txt) with the following command line from a batch file:

"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\swriter.exe" C:\Temp\JavaOutput.txt

Please provide the instruction to create OO Writer macro in order to accept / use the configured
Code:
(Western Europe(Windows-1252/WinLatin 1), Dedault fonts (Courier New), Language  (English Australia), Paragraph break (CR&LF)
settings so that it is possible to print using OO Writer without having to open the text document up.

Many thanks again,

Jack
DVezina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack,

This should get you started. Let me know how it works for you.

In My Macros -> Standard -> Module1 create a macro:

Code:
Sub printdoc (sFilename as String)

Dim mArgs(3) as New com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
  Dim oDoc
  Dim oFrame
  Dim s As String
  Dim oDeskTop as Object
  Dim printArray(0) As New com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue 

oDeskTop=CreateUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.Desktop")

mArgs(0).Name = "ReadOnly"
  mArgs(0).Value = True

mArgs(1).Name = "MacroExecutionMode"
  mArgs(1).Value = 4

mArgs(2).Name = "AsTemplate"
  mArgs(2).Value = FALSE

mArgs(3).Name = "Hidden"
  mArgs(3).Value = True

s = convertToURL(sFilename)

oDoc = oDeskTop.LoadComponentFromUrl(s, "_blank", 0, mArgs())

oDoc.print(printArray())

End Sub

At Command line execute:
soffice -writer macro:///Standard.Module1.printdoc("C:\abc.txt")
netbeansfan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: How to open text file in OpenOffice Write and keep format? Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi DVezina,

Yes, it worked like a chime as I intended without having to open up OO even though it is loaded in the background which is fine. However, there is a minor imperfection still where soffice.exe still hung around in Task Manager (Windows XP) not releasing C:\abc.txt to be deleted / overwrite by subsequent commands. As a result, is it possible to include additional instruction in this macro to close it after printing, or atleast release it so that it is available for another application / Java to make use of it? Otherwise, I will need to do some batch scripting to clear it from the system unless there is a soffice switch to close it.

Thank you so much already for having coming up with this solution,

Jack
netbeansfan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: How to open text file in OpenOffice Write and keep format? Reply with quote

Hi DVezina,

It is strange that the command "soffice -writer macro:///Standard.Module1.printdoc("C:\abc.txt")" runs fine in a DOS prompt but would not complete / end when in a batch script.

Just wonder if there is anything in the macro that can be done to release it and close OO Writer altogether.

Thanks again,

Jack
netbeansfan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: How to open text file in OpenOffice Write and keep format? Reply with quote

Hi DVezina,

I am almost certain that the solution to closing OO Macro goes something like the following but it hasn’t quite work still:

Code:

Dim oDoc
Dim oFrame
Dim s As String
Dim oDeskTop as Object

mArgs(0).Value = True

mArgs(1).Value = 4

mArgs(2).Value = FALSE

mArgs(3).Name = "Hidden"
mArgs(3).Value = True

oDoc.print(printArray())

stardesktop.terminate()

End Sub

I am using the example from another OO threat from http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=49434.

Thanks,

Jack
DVezina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this crash? oDoc.close() would be better but that crashes too.

The crash is because we are trying to close before OO if finished operations. I don't have quickstarter running so it is not a problem for me.

I think the solution is to start an event listener and wait until the document is completely finished before doing the oDoc.close() statement. I have code around somewhere for that and I will look it up.
netbeansfan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: How to open text file in OpenOffice Write and keep format? Reply with quote

Hi DVezina,

I have found a working solution with the following OO Writer Macro:

Code:

Dim oDoc
  Dim oFrame
  Dim s As String
  Dim oDeskTop as Object

mArgs(0).Value = True

mArgs(1).Value = 4

mArgs(2).Value = FALSE

mArgs(3).Name = "Hidden"
  mArgs(3).Value = True

oDoc.print(printArray())

wait 1200

oDoc.close(True)

End Sub

It would be good to know what your proposed closing macro solution as well but this one works fine.

Once again, thank you very much for all your on-going persisting support. This solution would not have been possible without your valuable input.

Thanks again,

Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: