OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Change tracking with multiple users

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lknoll
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Change tracking with multiple users Reply with quote

Is there a way to not have change tracking nest when I edit another person's change?

For example, if I insert some text and then John deletes my insert, I want John to be able to actually delete the newly inserted text. Currently it shows the delete in change tracking. When I go into Edit --> Changes --> Accept/Reject; it shows both my insert (disabled and nested) and the delete.

Preferably, I'd like to keep the user's unique information in tact and not have to change the first and last name to a standard default.
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of that depends on who accepts/refuses the changes. If John does that, he can accept his deletion of your insertion. Or am I missing something?
lknoll
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want the secondary user to have to accept or reject a change to a change. I am hoping to have the document act the same as when I have the document open. Meaning, if I made the insert, and I delete part or all the newly inserted text, it is not recorded in the change tracking, but rather it is deleted. I'd like any secondary user who opens my document, to have it act the same.

So far the only way I have found to be able to do this is if I change the name in the options to match that which is in the change tracking.
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that would defeat the purpose of recording changes. John can simply use the Edit - Changes - Accept or Reject tool to review your edits and accept or reject them, then make any other changes, and then what - send it back to you again? But that would still hide some of the editing process from you or any other person editing that document. You make your changes, John deletes them, somebody else does yet something different and all the while everybody can see what everybody thought of the other peoples' edits. In the end the Changes - Accept or Reject tool can be used to settle the definitive version.
lknoll
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the document is going through an assembly line of sorts. Where I would add a block of text, then John gets the document to proof and notices I use a comma instead of a semi-colon, or something simple. Using Accept/Reject will not undo just the comma but rather undo all of the inserted text within that given time/ID.

I changed course and am looking at a way to modify the redline info via macro.

I understand this is not how OO is intended to work, but when the bossman asks for something, I start trolling the interwebs.

Thanks for the responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: